Morgan Benjamin and Michael MacBurnie were the big winners of the night as the Acadia Minor Hockey Association handed out its year-end awards March 27.
The duo received the George Dimock Memorial MVP awards for the boys’ midget AAA and female midget AA teams. For MacBurnie, it marked the second consecutive year he had received the award.
“It feels pretty good – a good way to finish off my minor hockey career,” MacBurnie said. “I’m very happy with my career. I’ll have lots and lots of memories to think about when I get older.”
MacBurnie admitted he wasn’t really surprised to win the award.
“I was kind of expecting it…I had a pretty good year, scored a lot of goals,” he said, although he regrets he never played on a team that won provincials. He hopes to try out for the Junior C team in Windsor this fall.
Benjamin, also in her final year of midget and minor hockey, said she wasn’t expecting to win the Dimock award.
“It feels good, a nice surprise,” she said.
Unlike MacBurnie, Benjamin has played on a provincial championship team, last year in midget AA.
“That’s my top minor hockey memory so far,” she said.
The Acadia Midget AA team also qualified for provincials this season. Valley made it to the final, but the game had to be stopped in double overtime due to a power outage and will be rescheduled.
“We have a pretty good team again this year,” Benjamin said. “We’d like to do at least as well as we did last year.”
The Dickie Moore Memorial awards went to Liam Carmichael, presented by his coach Dave Ettinger for the midget AAA boys, and Hillary Dort, presented by her coach Ken Seawards for the midget AA girls.
Jack Spindler Memorial awards were presented to Cameron Whynot for atom AAA, Bryce Dauphinee for peewee AAA, Luke Russell for Bantam AA, Brendan Bennett for midget A and Natasha Wotton for the Valley Wild midget AA girls.
All the recipients were present but Russell, who was competing at the bantam AA boys’ provincials in Halifax. Making the presentations were Oran Starratt and Chris Sweeney of the Canning Schooners old-timers team that sponsors the awards.
Heart and Hustle Award recipients were:
• Atom House Levesque - Devon Paul
• Atom House Isenor - Ben Crouse
• Atom House Parsons – Gavin Martin
• Atom A – Josh Langille
• Atom AA – Evan Krusselbrink
• Atom Girls – Meghan Woodworth.
• Peewee House Messom – Mitchell Vaughan
• Peewee House Troop – Keegan Vanderkloet
• Peewee B Buckle – Lucas Dill
• Peewee B Woodworth – Roman Javorek
• Peewee A – Aidan Hainstock
• Peewee AA – Cole Phillips
• Peewee Girls – Jenna Leighton.
• Bantam House – Nathan Myles
• Bantam C – Cody Morgan
• Bantam B – Thomas Hillis
• Bantam A – Dawsyn Crocker
• Bantam A Girls – Bailey Whynot
• Bantam AAA Girls – Mackenzie Leighton
• Sledge Hockey – Justin Stephens.
• Midget C – Shamus MacDonald-Brawn
• Midget B McLeod – Kent Paruch
• Midget B Thomson – Kathleen Newcombe
• Midget A Girls – Natalie Rippey
See photos of more award winners here.
See photos of the game here.