Updated: Arthur 'takes a bite' out of Scott's Bay wharf

Jennifer Hoegg jhoegg@kingscountynews.ca
Published on July 7, 2014

Scott’s Bay residents were without power, phones and a wharf after Arthur passed through - one of the worst storms people in the community can remember. 

“The middle section of the wharf - a good 20-plus feet - is washed away. Completely unusable,” resident Ami McKay said July 7, two days after the post-tropical storm wailed through the region.

“It took a bite out of it,” McKay’s neighbour, Ardythe Lantz said, and “our floating dock is gone. Pieces of it are in the next cove."

Government officials will be checking on the wharf in coming days. 

“Small Craft Harbour personnel will conduct an inspection of the wharf to determine the extent of the storm damage,” Stephen Bornais, spokesman with the Coast Guard, said July 8. 

At first, Arthur’s winds didn’t do much damage, Lantz said, but later in the afternoon it was a different story.

“When the wind changed, it was coming right in the bay, beating on the wharf,” she said. When Lantz and her husband went to look at the wharf around 6 p.m., “it was pretty wild," she added.

“Those waves were unreal. They were crashing right over the wharf. You couldn’t see it,” Lantz said.

There were quite a few people standing around trying to secure the boats, she added.

“Two fishing vessels were saved by the men of the community. Other small boats (were) heavily damaged,” McKay said. “There are boats that go out from there, people who make a living fishing, who are at an enormous loss.”

McKay and Lantz said it’s particularly sad as repairs to the structure were started last year.

“Where the piece came out is right where they stopped working last year,” Lantz said.

A number of trees in Scott’s Bay and the parking lot for the Cape Split hiking trail were knocked down and Nova Scotia Power’s website says electricity won’t be restored until July 8.

Lantz said residents are using generators to keep the lights on and water running.

“There’s a man who lives near the wharf, he’s 95,” she said. “He has lived there all his life and he doesn’t remember a storm that bad.”

The Canadian Hurricane Centre reported Arthur brought gusts of wind up to 138 km/h to the Valley around 6 p.m. July 5, part of a “sting jet,” effect of the storm - strong winds just left, or west, of the storm’s centre. Arthur was “exceptional” in how much of an effect the northwest winds had, both in the Fredericton area and the Valley, the centre said.