Leo Glavine, Minister of Health and Wellness, and Kevin Cameron, Chair of the Canada Games Management Committee, are pleased to announce that Mark Smith has been selected to fill the role of Chef de Mission for the 2015 Canada Winter Games in Prince George, BC.
Smith is currently the director of coaching with Sport Nova Scotia and the Canadian Sport Centre Atlantic. He has 27 years of experience in developing and leading high performing teams committed to achieving organizational goals in and outside of sport.
As head coach of Canada’s men’s and women’s softball programs since 2000, Smith's primary role is to deliver international success annually while implementing a development system (budgets, strategies and programs) that ensures consistency in the advancement of athletes from junior through to World Championship medalists.
As an athlete in the sport of softball, Smith is a three-time world champion and was selected to the all-world team a record five times. He won five Pan American gold medals as a player and another as a coach. He capped his playing career in 1998 capturing the Senior Men’s Canadian championship gold medal. Smith has been inducted into the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame, the Canadian Softball Hall of Fame and the American Softball Hall of Fame (ISC).
The Chef de Mission is the head of delegation for Team Nova Scotia’s contingent of athletes, coaches, and managers who represent the province at the Canada Games. In this role, Mark will lead a team of Mission Staff who manage logistics, disseminate information, organize events, handle administrative tasks, troubleshoot, and liaise with the host society to support and promote Team Nova Scotia.
- Read more special articles:
- Meet the athletes: Following Team Nova Scotia at the Canada Winter Games
- Berwick's Jennifer Smith proud to represent Nova Scotia in Canada Games curling
- Berwick curler earns silver medal with Fay rink at Canada Games
- Photo finish gives Truro's Liam Moffatt snowboarding bronze
Members of the Canada Games management committee are:
- Kevin Cameron (Chairman), Sport Nova Scotia Board Director
- Jamie Ferguson, Sport Nova Scotia
- Aaron Nutting, Department of Health & Wellness
- Ken Bagnell, Canadian Sport Centre Atlantic
- Amy Scott , PSO Professional staff
- Susan Beazley, Mission staff representative
- Ray Fisher, Coach representative
- Darren Bogle, Athlete representative
- Troy Myers, Member-at-large
- Ben Zisserson, Member-at-large
- Lorraine Burch, Member-at-large
- Doug Clarke, Member-at-large
- Amy Walsh, Director, Sport Nova Scotia (ex-officio)