© Jonathan Riley
Sheree Halliday welcomed home her husband Philip in February 2013 after he spent three years in Spanish prison on drug-smuggling charges.
By Jonathan Riley
I have compiled a quick list of the top stories in Digby COunty this past year. I put 32 in the list - after the first five or six, the order is not so well thought out.
The list is only intended to remind the reader of some of the events of the past year.
I put the Philip Halliday story first because of the overwhelming interest both in this community and outside it. The breakwater construction because it is one of the few concrete tangible signs of the area moving forward. The African Nova Scotia school board seat court case could have some far reaching implications. The Medibus is another concrete tangible sign of progress and its sustainability is still a question.
The tidal project announcements and new ferry committments are important and could be great for the area - when the new ship arrives and the power starts flowing, those stories will be number one that year.
1. Phillip Halliday returns after three years in Spanish jail
2. Breakwater construction and other wharf construction
3. African Nova Scotia seat ballot confusion and court case
4. Medibus arrives – health centre on island almost finished. Health centre for Digby gets closer
5. Tidal project announcements
6. New ferry commitment
7. Two suspicious barracks fires in Cornwallis
8. Taxes in Digby – The Tax Trio of councillors who brought suggestions too late to council, and then Charlotte’s appearance in council
9. Doctor recruitment – town looked at new incentives, Municipality left MEDIC but joined a committee with Clare, Dr. Nourian takes first patients
10. Hwy 101 mentioned in throne speech
11. Provincial election – Wilson wins, McNeil premier
12. Last weir on Digby Neck ?
13. New Smith’s Cove sewer system takes sewage from Bear River and then Annapolis side and installs new COMFIT approved wind turbine
14. AF Theriault gets contact to build new ferries for HRM
15. Lobster Bash adds to summer festival fun
16. Wharf Rat – town and municipality continuing to fund job
17. RCMP staff sergeant arrives
18. Cooke starts harvest of salmon from St Marys Bay
19. Cooke fined $500,000 for polluting fish habitat
20. Voodoo jet leaves Cornwallis
21. Occupy Winter – protest to reopen Keji in the winter
22. Bear River First Nation paddlers reopen route from Lake Joli to Keji
23. Protected spaces plan adds to Tobeatic
24. Park for New France
25. COMFIT approves municipality to compost mink waste and compost to make power – generator arrives
26. New rules on Island ferries
27. New power cables to Islands
28. Digby Academy demolished
29. Paul Gidney wins gold at worlds
30. Ferry break down in spring and refit
31. Ferry goes adrift in fall
32. ADEDA gone to be replaced by RENS