Fire departments save Hillgrove home when barn burns

Jonathan
Jonathan Riley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Fire has consumed a barn in Hillgrove but fire fighters saved a nearby home.

Kenny Carter lives across the Ridge Road from the barn belonging to John Lewis and called 911 about 6:15 p.m. when he noticed flames and smoke in the large barn.

The 911 operator told him they had already received a call and Digby, Brighton Barton, Smith’s Cove and Bear River Fire Departments were on their way.

Digby was called out at 6:08 p.m. and when they arrived on scene at 6:19 p.m., flames had already broken through the roof of the barn.

Fire Chief Robert Morgan says they put one line on the barn and another to protect the Lewis home.

The siding melted on the two sides of the house nearest the barn.

Morgan said Lewis had been burning rubbish behind the barn, went inside for a moment and when he came back noticed the fire and called 911.

Morgan said the barn was used for storage of miscellaneous items.

Natural Resources' Nova Scotia fire index map showed the fire danger in the Digby area as low today.

No one was hurt in the fire.

jriley@digbycourier.ca

Geographic location: Hillgrove, Ridge Road

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Maxine MacLean
    July 15, 2014 - 19:09

    I am deeply saddened to see our family's barn burned, but I am also very grateful to the fire departments who responded so quickly to save my sister's home (where we were born and raised). Memories of the good times will last. Thankfully no one was hurt.