UPDATE One person dead following two-vehicle crash near Hantsport

A 56-year-old Kentville man was killed following a fatal highway car crash involving a tractor trailer and a vehicle Dec. 19.

Highway 101 was shut down between exits 7 (Falmouth) and 8 (Hantsport) around 11:30 a.m. as RCMP investigated the head-on collision.  The highway remained closed for about five hours.

Windsor Staff Sgt. Dan Austin confirmed that one person, driving the passenger car, was killed in the collision. Austin said the tractor trailer was heading west on the highway towards Wolfville and the vehicle was heading east towards Halifax. This section of the highway is not twinned.

Police, fire and emergency health services were called to the scene. Department of Transportation officials also assisted, as did inspectors for heavy trucks, Austin noted.

The name of the deceased has not yet been released.

Organizations: RCMP, Fire and Emergency Health Services

Geographic location: Hantsport

Comments

Comments

• Family Member
    December 23, 2013 - 17:30

Kerri, Thank you beyond words. I am immediate family member... Thank you.

• Family Member
    December 23, 2013 - 17:29

Kerri, Thank you beyond words. I am immediate family member... Thank you.

• Kerri Brown
    December 20, 2013 - 16:39

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. My husband I were first on the scene of this accident and if it is of any comfort to you, your husband/father did not pass alone. I was with him, holding his hand, praying for him. I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope in time your wonderful memories will fill your heart, I am sure he was a great man. May he rest in peace. Kerri

• Kerri Brown
    December 20, 2013 - 16:19

• Anna
      December 21, 2013 - 11:16

May God bless you, Kerri, your husband and the whole family. You're very merciful.

• Kerri Brown
    December 20, 2013 - 16:18

• CI
    December 19, 2013 - 18:33

I know that people want to know the news but I truly think it is wrong for the papers to put pictures of the vehicles involved on-line within an hour after someone dies. I would hope that you would put yourself in the position of the person that has a family member that may own the same type and color of car and that was also travelling that highway at that time. Just think of the unnecessary heartache it may cause or even worse it being that family member and finding out in this way. I have talked to alot of people that has said the same thing and I felt that I had to comment on it. I hope I never have to get the phone call or have the police come to my door, but if it ever did happen I would rather find out that way then to see it all over the internet!

• JD
      December 19, 2013 - 22:14

Suck it up. If you can't handle the news, don't read it.

• Courtney
      December 20, 2013 - 08:00

JD, if it was your family member who died in that crash would you want it plastered all over the internet and facebook?? I have friends and family who have lost on that highway and they have been scared by the inappropriate photos, its not about putting information out there, its about posting photos of a demolished car 20 minutes after the crash, where the families even notified by that point??

• Anna
      December 20, 2013 - 14:20

Do you already know anything about the causes of this tragedy? Deepest condolences to the family of the deceased.

• Anna
      December 20, 2013 - 15:07

Deepest condolences to the family of the deceased.

• Courtney
    December 19, 2013 - 18:25

I'm sorry but why do the newspapers think it is a good idea to post photos of car crashes??? The Hants Journal had the photo plastered all over Facebook within the hour, can you imagine being that persons family? Or worse can you imagine finding out your loved one had died on Facebook??? I understand being the first to report and all that but those photos are completely wrong and disgusting!!

• weena
    December 19, 2013 - 17:12

prayers to the family

• Shane Duncan
    December 19, 2013 - 16:59

I'm sure the potholes and cracks in the road really helped them maintain control when they are covered with black ice.

• Lana