The Capitol Pub steps up

Lawrence Powell
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Free Christmas dinner for anyone in Middleton

By Lawrence Powell

The Spectator

editor@annapolisspectator.ca

 

John Bartlett served a bunch of turkey dinners today at The Capitol Pub in Middleton -- to people who may not have had anywhere else to go. And it was all free. There was no alcohol served and the VLTs were shut down.

Bartlett was overwhelmed by the support from the community as donations poured in in the weeks leading up to Christmas. In the end Bartlett and Chef Heather Roach cooked 100 pounds of turkey, big pans of stuffing, big pots of gravey and all kinds of vegetables.

About 85 per cent of the food was donated with The Capitol chipping in the other 15 per cent.

The event ran from 2 to 5 p.m. and as people came and went there were between 25 and 30 people at the Middleton eatery at any given time -- including Bartlett's staff and other volunteers who decided they would spend part of Christmas day helping others.

Live music was provided by Tim Deveau and Cheryl Bryant who played accoustic guitar and sang a medly of popular songs -- from Doctor Crow Medicine Show to John Denver.

A donation jar was also set up and Bartlett said any extra money will be donated to mental health programs. Although the pub served numerous Christmas dinners, Bartlett and his partner Janice Macdonald said if they had served only one, it would have been worth it. As for doing it again next year, that's a go.

Geographic location: Middleton

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Drenna Moore
    January 01, 2014 - 17:03

    I am so proud of this local business and the community! Make one feel proud to be a part of the Annapolis County community and friends of Middeton!!

  • Debbie Connell
    December 30, 2013 - 18:15

    I must say , that was very thoughtful hats off to everyone who donated time and food