(NC)—Tastes like the Italian-style favourite, except that instead of pasta this version uses sliced russet potatoes. A satisfying meal that's quick and easy for kids and parents to prepare.
Adult peels and slices potatoes. Older kids can par-cook potatoes in microwave and cook ground beef. All kids can layer ingredients in baking dish.
• 1 lb. (500 g) lean ground beef
• 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
• ½ tsp (3 mL) chopped garlic (pre-chopped from jar or chopped by adult)
• 2 lb. (1 kg) russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 ½ cups (375 mL) tomato sauce
• 1 ½ cups (375 mL) cottage cheese
• 1 egg
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional)
• 1 cup (4 oz. /100 g) grated Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses
Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
In fry pan, cook ground beef on medium heat, breaking up pieces with back of wooden spoon or spatula. Stir in oregano and garlic. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Place sliced potatoes in bottom of 2.5-quart (2.35 L) baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap. Heat on high 8 minutes or until potatoes in middle of dish are tender when pierced with a fork. Use oven mitts when removing cover. Be careful, steam from bowl is hot.
Sprinkle flour on top of potatoes. In a bowl, mix cooked ground beef mixture with tomato sauce and spread over top. In bowl, mix cottage cheese, egg and Parmesan cheese. Spread over tomato sauce layer. Sprinkle grated Cheddar cheeses over cottage cheese layer.
Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbling at edges. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.