Doug Harrison, karaoke competition co-ordinator; Harley Hazelwood, representative for Upper Room Food Bank; Al MacPherson, competition winner; and Bobby Deveau show off MacPherson’s cheque. Royal Canadian Legion Branch 098 held a karaoke competition for six weeks, which wrapped up Jan. 18. The Legion also donated $200 and 100 pounds of food to the Upper Room Food Bank as part of the competition. - Submitted
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Meeting - annual meeting of the Berwick Food Bank, 7 p.m., at 100 South Street, Berwick.
• Fundraising Dinner – ham dinner, held by the Aylesford Lions at the Lions Hall in Auburn, 4:30-6:30 p.m. All funds received will be in support of PRMS and SMES. Freewill offering.
• Art Display - Valley Regional Art Gallery showing artist Willis Best paintings.
• Roast Beef Dinner – attheWolfville and District Lions Hall, 5-6:30 p.m. Tickets $12 per person, 10 years and under $6. Available from any Lions member, Wolfville Save Easy or the door. Take- out available.
• Jewelry Sale – by theKikima Grannies, at Blomidon Nursery, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Pancake Breakfast – 9-11 a.m., at the Salvation Army, Kentville. Fundraiser for the youth group. Adults $5, children $3. Storm date Feb. 8.
• Breakfast - Hantsport and District Lion’s Breakfast, 7-10 a.m., at the St. Andrews Church Hall, Hantsport. Adults $6, children six to 12 $3, five and under free. Accepting food bank donations.
• Talent Show and Silent Auction – at Port Williams United Baptist Church, 6:30 p.m.
• Newcomers Club Meeting - 7 p.m., at the Wolfville Farmers’ Market Building, speaker Dr. Mark Hodges – Kentville Research Centre. Open to the public. Info: www.wolfvillenewcomers.org
• Valentine Tea – 2-4 p.m., North Alton Baptist Church, variety of desserts, door prizes, freewill offering. Sponsored by the BWA, proceeds for church work.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m., $6 per person 19 and over. Music by Rte. 12
• Hardy Breakfast - 7:30-11 a.m. at the Masonic Hall, Mill Street, Berwick. (Time change for this date only in support of the Berwick Winter Carnival). Adults $6, children $3
Meeting - Valley Gardeners Club at 7:30 p.m. in Room 2101 at the Kingstec Campus of NSCC in Kentville. Guest speaker is Melanie Priesnitz.
• Luncheon – at theKingston Lions, noon to 1 p.m. at the Lions Hall, $8 at the door or $8.50 delivered. Deliveries must be ordered by 10:30 a.m. Phone 765-2128 or email email@example.com
• Spooky Sampling Show – by Valley Ghost Walks at the Manning Memorial Chapel, Acadia, 7:30 p.m. with a collection of historical ghost stories from all ghost walks. Tickets: adults $15, students $10 available at Ticketpro locations, Box of Delights, Wilson's Pharmasave, Kentville & Berwick or at the door. This is a part fundraiser for Randall House Museum.
• Breakfast – held by the Good Neighbour Club, celebrating their eighth anniversary. 7-10:30 a.m. Freewill offering.
• Concert - by the band Shoulder to Shoulder at the Wolfville Atlantic Theater, 7 p.m. Tickets at the Acadia box office $8 adult, $4 students. Opening with choir students from New Minas, EMS, Port Williams and Wolfville schools. Info: 542-6075
• Sweetheart Walk - Valley Trekkers, led by Lynda Kanne, in and around the Greenwood area. Meet in the parking lot of the Greenwood Aviation Museum/Canex, registration after 9:30 for walking at 10 a.m. Info: 847-1772 or 765-0906.
• Crib Tournament - Kentville Legion Registration 12:30 p.m., play at 1 p.m. Upstairs $20 per team. Lunch served.
• Dance – at the Kentville Legion, 9:30 p.m., $6 per person 19 and over. Music by Reboot.
• Coldbrook Lions Breakfast - all you can eat, 8-10:30 a.m. Adults $5, children 3-12 $3, under 3 free.
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. $6 per person. Music by Rte 12.