Top News

Lone occupant escapes uninjured as rental home destroyed by fire in Barrington

The first line of firefighters off the truck had a blazing inferno facing them at the house fire in Barrington on Jan. 21.
The first line of firefighters off the truck had a blazing inferno facing them at the house fire in Barrington on Jan. 21. - Contributed

BARRINGTON, N.S. – Careless use and maintenance of a wood stove is the probable cause of a fire that destroyed a rental home in Barrington on Jan. 21, according to a fire chief from the area.

Barrington Port LaTour Fire Chief Johnny Nickerson said the call about the fire came in around 5:18 p.m. after being spotted by a passer-by.

The structure was “fully involved upon arrival and I mean fully,” said Nickerson. “It was the most fire I've seen coming from a house upon arrival for a long time.”

The lone occupant escaped without injury.

Volunteer firefighters from Island Barrington Passage, Woods Harbour Shag Harbour and West Pubnico departments assisted in battling the blaze in brutal conditions. Shelburne firefighters were called in to stand by at the Barrington Port LaTour Hall.

Firefighters were on the scene until about 9 p.m. The cause appears to be careless use and maintenance of a wood stove, said Nickerson. The house was a total loss.

Recent Stories