This year has been one of milestones and achievements for Blomidon Estate Winery, after the Canning-area business recently earned a spate of feathers in their cap.
Three of the traditional-method sparkling wines Blomidon Estate makes have earned local, national and international awards.
Blomidon Estate Winery recently placed in the top tier of the Atlantic Canadian Wine Awards, the WineAlign National Wine Awards of Canada, the Decanter World Wine Awards.
It is also the recipient of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in Nova Scotia Wines.
Simon Rafuse, a winemaker with Blomidon Estates, said the winemaking business is one that is “on the edge, which is what makes it exciting.”
Winemakers use the seasons as guides for their wine styles, as opposed to being focused on making arbitrary decisions on what kind of wine they want to make.
“Traditional method sparkling wines have really become the calling card for Nova Scotia wines,” Rafuse said. “You need time and patience. You need to wait until the wines are ready.”
Tim Ramey, co-owner of Blomidon Estate Winery, described 2019 as “an incredible year.”
RECENT WINE AWARDS
The following are the wines for which Blomidon Estate Winery.
· 2011 Brut Réserve
- 2019 Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in Nova Scotia wines
- Wine of the Year (Atlantic Canadian Wine Awards)
- 90 Points, Silver Medal award (2019 Decanter World Wine Awards)
· 2010 Blanc De Blancs
- Silver Medal (90 points) – 2019 Decanter World Wine Awards
- Silver Medal (90 points) – 2019 WineAlign National Wine Awards of Canada
· 2015 Cuvée L’Acadie
- Gold Medal (91 points) – 2019 WineAlign National Wine Awards of Canada
- Bronze Medal (87 points) – 2019 Decanter World Wine awards
· 2016 Baco Noir Reserve
- Bronze Medal (88 points) – 2019 WineAlign National Wine Awards of Canada
Ramey said staff at Blomidon Estates are proud that they have achieved what he said was their greatest success to date with 100 per cent Nova Scotian wines.
“The vision for our winery, started in 2008, is really coming to fruition,” Ramey said. “In addition to success with our sparklers, to win a national award in the very competitive ‘other single red varieties’ category with our Baco Noir Reserve speaks volumes about our wine portfolio and the hard work and dedication of our very talented and passionate team.”