WILMOT, NS - A Wilmot family of three is homeless after their mobile home at 66 Burke Drive was destroyed by fire early in the evening Aug. 22.
The Middleton Fire Department received a call at 6:35 p.m.
“It was a fully engulfed trailer when I first arrived,” said Middleton’s deputy chief Scott Veinot at the scene. “Crews knocked it down in a hurry. Right now, Chief (Mike) Toole is speaking with the fire marshal’s office in regards to what we’re going to do next.”
While it appeared there was no power to the trailer, Veniot said there were two extension cords running into the trailer from a temporary pole.
The deputy said there was nobody home at the time and no pets inside.
The trailer was between two other mobile homes a matter of 20 or so metres away. Fortunately, the neighbouring homes didn’t catch fire.
“Mobile homes don’t take long to go up, especially the older ones. They’re very light construction,” said Veinot.
“When I got here there was nothing left other than the framing.”
Firefighters from Lawrencetown, Kingston, and Nictaux were also called out. Nova Scotia Power and the RCMP were also at the scene. Burke Drive, off Highway 1 across from Guy's Frenchys, was closed off to all outside traffic.
The following day disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross assisted a man and his two sons with emergency purchases like clothing and food. The family is staying with friends in the community for now, said Dan Bedell of the Red Cross.
This story has been updated with information from the Canadian Red Cross.