Top News

A ‘textbook’ knockdown: Community Services home in Windsor evacuated following afternoon fire


WINDSOR, N.S. — Firefighters quickly knocked down a fire at a Community Services home in Windsor.

At 1:17 p.m. on Oct. 6, Windsor firefighters were paged out to a smoke condition at an Avon Street residence.

“I responded to the scene. Upon arrival, we had smoke showing from the bravo side of the building, which is the left hand side of the building, on the second floor,” said deputy fire chief Jamie Juteau.

Residents and staff of the home were already evacuated, he said.

The first crew to arrive ran a hose line to the second floor, searched for the fire and extinguished it. The fire was located in a bedroom.

About two dozen firefighters attended, with mutual aid coming from Brooklyn (at the scene) and Hantsport (standing by at the station).

“There really were no challenges to speak of. It was very textbook,” said Juteau. “Everybody was very cooperative. We had traffic under control quickly with the assistance of the RCMP and our mutual aid partners were a big asset.”

Around 2:15 p.m., the Windsor Fire Department was getting ready to do an air quality test at the home. Juteau said the fire was under investigation and the fire marhsal’s office had been notified. The amount of damage is unknown at this time.

During the call, Windsor got paged to attend a commercial fire alarm, which members of the Hantsport Fire Department attended, and Brooklyn was paged for a medical.

Recent Stories