Grab a Canadian flag, don some red and white clothing, or sport a maple leaf emblem and head to Hantsport this Canada Day for a jam-packed day filled with fun events.
The community of Hantsport has had a long history of celebrating the national anniversary, and this year is no different.
The annual event runs all day July 1, starting with a pancake breakfast and concluding with fireworks at dusk.
Abby Miller, the recreation and day camp director at the Hantsport Memorial Community Centre (HMCC), says that attendees of all ages should be ready to have a great time.
“Our big event is the grand street parade at 1 p.m. in the afternoon, and then we will have other activities going on throughout the day like bouncy castles, swimming at the pool, and the children’s parade in the morning.”
The parades both have an ‘All Things Disney’ theme.
Miller also noted that live music would be playing throughout the day.
She said there will be activities for all ages taking place throughout the day, so she hopes people will drop in for an hour or stay for several hours.
“We also will have face painting, balloon twisting, and a dunk tank, which are all new this year.”
Another major event that day is the three-on-three basketball tournament, starting at 8:30 a.m.
So what can you do?
• 7:30-9:30 a.m. — Pancake breakfast at Churchill House
• 9-11:30 a.m. — Road races, with registration at former town hall
• 8:30 a.m. to noon — Three-on-three basketball tournament at HMCC basketball courts
• 10:30 a.m. — Children’s parade, starts at Hantsport School finishes at Churchill House
• 10:45 a.m. — Opening ceremonies at Churchill House
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Show and shine and antique car show at Billy Cleveland Field
• 1-2 p.m. — Grand street parade in downtown Hantsport
• 1-4 p.m. — Swimming at HMCC Pool
• 2-4 p.m. — Bouncy equipment at Med Starratt Field
• 2-5 p.m. — Strong man and strong woman competition at HMCC lower parking lot
• 2-6 p.m. — Dunk tank at Med Starratt Field
• 2-11 p.m. — Barn bar at the Red Barn
• 3-5 p.m. — Slip ‘N’ Slide; balloon twisting and face painting at Med Starratt Field
• 5-6 p.m. — Pool fun competition at HMCC Pool
• 6-10 p.m. — Live music featuring Bunker and the Boys at Billy Cleveland Field
• 7-8 p.m. — Dog agility show at Med Starratt Field
• 10 p.m. — Fireworks at Billy Cleveland Field
For more details and to see a complete list of what’s planned, visit: thehmcc.ca