YARMOUTH - A year-long renovation project that’s resulted in the transformation of Yarmouth’s old courthouse (built in 1933) into a health clinic is nearly complete. The couple who own it will hold an open house Nov. 30 from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
The two-storey brick structure, located opposite Yarmouth town hall, was purchased by general internal medicine specialist Dr. Brian Moses and his wife Tamara June 1, 2017.
The clinic is filling up fast. Two social workers who provide counselling are located on the ground floor and there is also an infusion clinic for delivery of intravenous medications.
On the family medicine side there is Dr. Joseph Gillis, along with Dr. Tyler Green, both formerly from the Harbour South Medical Clinic. They’ll be starting Dec. 1. Internists Dr. Euiseok Kim and Dr. Moses have offices on the north side of the building.
There is an office available on the internal medicine side of the building and space for two more tenants on the family physician side.
“With the population here, we could really use some more family physicians,” said Dr. Moses.
Three apartments on the second floor at the rear of the building have been rented.
The former courtroom, located upstairs at the front of the building, is being left as is for now, but Phase 2 of the project calls for renovations that will retain the beautiful woodwork and create medical lecture space.
An old safe has been turned into a bathroom off the staff boardroom. Exposed brick has been left in some of the apartments.
The couple has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in extensive renovations.
The clinic features attractive flooring, large windows on the south side and comfortably wide hallways. An elevator is being installed in the facility and there’s a wheelchair-accessible entrance on the north side.
Graham Construction was the main contractor. The name of the building will soon be announced.
The community’s first courthouse was built in 1820, but two of its three replacements succumbed to fire. The courthouse built in 1863 burned down in 1921. A new one was erected, only to be destroyed by fire a decade later. The current courthouse was opened in 1933 and survived a 1988 fire.
The two-storey structure is built of brick. Its functional exterior incorporates traditional Georgian features and symmetry that produce a blend of old and new. The building ceased use as a courthouse when the $14.8-million, 48,000-square-foot Yarmouth Justice Centre opened at 164 Main St. in 2009.
Tamara Moses has documented the renovations through Instagram #oldyarmouthcourthouse
View this post on Instagram
Before and after time. Dark picture and different angle, but can you see the brown door on the side? Well, it just got replaced. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong door. It’s supposed to be blue, like the panel. The correct door is on the way though. Also notice, we opted to bring back a glass transom above the door, for some natural light. #townofyarmouth #yarmouthns #renovation #kohltech #oldcourthouse #door #historicbuilding