Deputy minister planning a trip to Hennigar's to discuss flower beds

Wendy Elliott

Greenwich farmer Doug Hennigar has been busy giving big city media tours of the flowerbed near Hennigar’s Farm Market. - Wendy Elliott, www.kingscountynews.ca

As he takes a break between greeting TV camera crews on June 30, Greenwich farmer Doug Hennigar says, “I’ve been smiling all day. I’ve got bugs in my teeth.”

Public interest has galvanized around the u-pick flower garden that the province wants Hennigar to push back by four feet because it could be obstructing traffic.

Today was the deadline Hennigar was given in a June 20 letter from the department of transportation and infrastructure.

“We had a parade of yellow vehicles go by here this morning,” Hennigar said. “I would have loved to know what they were saying."

Read more here.

While some people say slicing into the flowerbed is no big deal, Hennigar says a two-foot cut into the bank will erode the hillside bed.

“It won’t hold, especially in the rain,” he said.

Hennigar has been told to expect a visit from the deputy minister of transportation and infrastructure on July 2 and he’s had lots of offers of assistance.

A retiring farming couple from Berwick offered to come and set up a protest, as did a senior’s coffee club based in Wolfville. He added that a number of local cyclists have dropped in to lend support.

“Somebody suggested that next year they should park the Bluenose here and make a planter of it,” Hennigar chuckled.

He just wishes that common sense could prevail.

“There are no winners and losers in this. The bottom line is, we’re over managed.”

It’s been two years since the department paved the shoulder next to the flowerbed. Hennigar understood at the time that his hillside planting was in compliance.

Geographic location: Wolfville

Comments

Comments

• Kathy Kathy
    July 02, 2014 - 14:59

A bunch of idiotic overpaid government officials have noting better to do than to find something so petty as this. I think the owner of the flower garden should plant the letters F U. I enjoy looking at the flowers on my drive to Wolfville.

• Florence
    July 02, 2014 - 07:04

We were by there yesterday and do not see any thing wrong. The strip beside the flower bed is plenty wide enough for a biker. The ditch above there is closer to the road than what the flower bed is. The pot holes in our roads is what needs looking after.

• Florence
    July 02, 2014 - 07:02

• Temma
    July 01, 2014 - 20:42

The news reported that cyclist safety is the issue at this location. As a cyclist who bikes past there often, I can say that the paved strip next to that flower bed is the only place on that stretch of road that has enough room for a cyclist. Maybe the Deputy Minister can bike from New Minas to Wolfville while visiting and see about a safe bike lane for the rest of the route. Keep the whole flower bed! It's beautiful and brings a smile to my face whenever I pass it.

• Temma
    July 01, 2014 - 20:42

• Julia Bancroft
    July 01, 2014 - 16:11

This is not embarrassing the valley, it is embarrassing the Liberals, and the Dept of transportation. I wish there were more flower bed anywhere in NS. While I am wishing, I wish some of the potholes and patches of asphalt on top of other patches of asphalt , that are REAL hazard were fixed. It just shows us how much time and money are wasted on non issues. I also wish that in our part of SW Nova maybe we could stop the pollution of our fresh water.? Just wishing...

• Bill Boyd
    June 30, 2014 - 21:21

Get a grip people! It's a flower bed. It's not many things oh so much more important such as better healthcare, better education, an end to war, an end to poverty, an end to hunger... Need I go on! Devote your energy to something more worthy than this trifle. You're just embarrassing the valley.