Old KCA to be torn down: Kentville council

Wendy Elliott

KCA Grade 10 class in 1939

Kentville town council voted unanimously on Feb. 11 to demolish the remaining buildings on the old KCA site.

CAO Mark Phillips reported to council that since the town took ownership, there had been 22 inquiries about the sale of the structures, but only two individuals wanted to use buildings.

He added that none of the offers were successful. Last spring, the old elementary school was demolished for $130,000 in order to increase salability.

Phillips said the real estate agents, the Bernard Group, have recommended complete demolition.

Several roof leaks and standing pools of water have started lifting the floors, the CAO said, leading to significant deterioration. Vandals have also been destructive.

Phillips told council that further demolitions he believes will lead to a sale and future development. He pegged the cost at $350,000.

He expressed some doubt about the town’s ability to recoup the estimated $500,000 in total demolition costs.

After an in camera discussion, council voted to accept Phillips’ recommendation.

The oldest structure on the School Street site, which was the high school, dates back to 1930. There was a time, according to the late Mabel Nichols, that 600 students, many who came via train from across eastern Kings County, attended the school.

The complex was vacated in 2011 when a new KCA school was opened on Park Street in Kentville.

Organizations: Kentville town council, Bernard Group

Geographic location: Eastern Kings

Comments

Comments

• samantha
    March 23, 2014 - 21:42

I stopped by the school today to walk around, as I had heard there was a lot of damage and vandalism... I was not prepared for what I saw and ultimately had a very emotional experience walking around the property. Graffiti; hardly a window left unbroken; flooded halls & classrooms with debris floating around; ice and leaks; office chairs and materials scattered throughout... I simply cannot believe this building is just going to be demolished and not preserved as a heritage site. Does anyone know how people can get access to the inside of the building to see it before it's torn down? I live in Halifax and would like to somehow come home for a day if I could plan a visit.

• samantha
    March 23, 2014 - 21:41

• Louis Comeau
    March 04, 2014 - 17:43

That photo of the KCA Grade 10 class taken in 1939 and attributed to A L Hardy couldn't be, as Hardy died in 1935!

• Louis Comeau
    March 04, 2014 - 17:42

• bobbi
    February 13, 2014 - 22:00

I agree with Candace!

• Amanda
    February 13, 2014 - 10:17

Does anyone know when they plan to actually tear it down? My fiance and I are planning to take some of our engagement photos there.

• Virginia Daniels
    February 13, 2014 - 01:24

History is something to be perserved; lets face it, when people come for apple blossom or tourism they come also for the historical buildings; shame on you for destroying something so integral to Kentville's history and class.

• Nick
    February 12, 2014 - 14:59

what a way to destroy our towns history, most of the towns in Nova Scotia choose to embrace their past. But here in kentville we decide to demolish it at what ever cost. Its the same as when they tore town the old "round house" a few years ago. that was one of that last buildings like this in our country. Way to go kentville, way to go

• Misty Banyard
    February 12, 2014 - 10:48

Is this location not considered to be a heritage site, having been built in the early 1900's. Under the circumstances, I fin it unfathomable that the council would have the authority to just unilaterally decide to tear it down. (Much as they did, I might note, with the heritage site train station) I urge the people who are in the province and town to write to Canadian Heritage and to contact their local MP before history repeats itself and another historic landmark in Kentville goes the way of the train station.

• allan
    February 11, 2014 - 20:50

Demolishing the school is a drastic move. How can Kentville be a town without a school?

• candace
      February 12, 2014 - 16:36

There is a new school, who will pay to maintain a structure that isn't being used and requires extensive renovations, perhaps raise taxes?

• candace