Dairy Treat won't reopen this summer in Shelburne

By Amy Woolvett

After half a century of serving up ice cream in Shelburne, the Dairy Treat will not reopen its doors this spring to the public.

Many of the community have fond memories of the iconic local ice cream parlour; whether after a game of baseball, as a treat for good grades or just as a spot to meet up with friends.

No one will have as many happy memories as Brenda Lamrock-Acker, who has worked behind the counter as a manager since 1985.

“The kids are what I enjoyed the most,” she said.  “First they are peeking up over the counter on their tippy toes and then they are driving up with their girlfriends.”

She has seen at least 25 teens employed at the Dairy Treat throughout the years, who still come by for a visit when back in Shelburne.

“It was a hot spot in town,” said Lamrock-Acker.  “I went through two boxes of bananas a week to keep up with the banana split orders.”

She said at one time there was a branch manager, shipper and six drivers as well as counter staff on hand to keep up with demand.

“The line ups would last all weekend long,” she said.

Still, up until they closed, the Dairy Treat was a hot spot and Lamrock Acker said lack of business was not the reason the Dairy Treat closed its doors.

After Farmer’s Dairy merged with Agropur last spring, it was decided they would focus on distribution and drop retail businesses.

That decision includes the closure of the Dairy Treat in Yarmouth.

“It has nothing to do with business volumes or not being busy,” said Lamrock-Acker.

She said she would miss the people the most, when a child would ask for an awful cone instead of a waffle cone, when teenagers would shortly learn if they wanted their order they would need to say please and thank you.

From banana royales to banana splits, Lamrock-Acker, fondly remembered her customers over the years by their order.

“I didn’t go to work,” she said.  “I served smiles.”

When asked what she would do next, Lamrock-Acker said she would hopefully get a job somewhere in Shelburne.

“I can’t retire,” she said.  “I enjoy people too much.”

It was a happy, special and social place for so many in this town,” she said.

She said a new page of her book is being turned.

“It’s the end of an era,” she said.  “It really is.”

Organizations: Agropur

Geographic location: Shelburne, Water Street, Yarmouth

Comments

Comments

• Rebdecca Swansburg
    February 19, 2014 - 10:54

Amy Woolvett should recontact Brenda, from what Brenda put on facebook things may have changed in this situation, would be nice to see a positive follow-up story come out of this.

• c Mullen
    February 11, 2014 - 07:05

Is there no other supplier that they could get the ice cream from? We have several dairy treats in our area, and they don't depend on Farmers!!

• Mike from Canmore
      February 12, 2014 - 14:12

Farmers stills makes ice cream, someone else can take advantage of this situation and begin serving shakes, sundaes, banana splits, etc. Perhaps this is a business opportunity for a current restaurant or a new seasonal one ?

• d
    February 11, 2014 - 00:32

http://www.farmersdairy.ca/pages/aboutUs/lifeOnTheFarm.php Call and complain

• Hazel
    February 11, 2014 - 00:05

I'm sad to hear this. Farmer's won't be getting my support anymore. Has anyone looked into the Scots burn business to see if they'd be willing to supply for the Dairy treat in Shelburne??

• Kimberly Turner-de Vries
    February 10, 2014 - 12:47

I can remember being one of those small children in the 80s, standing on my tippy toes, peeking over the counter. This summer, I brought my 4 year old daughter and husband to the Dairy Treat and it felt good to watch my family enjoy themselves while eating hot fudge sundaes and carry on with tradition that all people from Shelburne and surrounding areas have done for many years. The Dairy Treat will be greatly missed.

• George Handel
    February 10, 2014 - 10:42

We live in Florida, and spend summers at our place in Shelburne. We LOVE the Farmers (Dairy Treat) soft ice cream! It is the BEST soft ice cream on the planet! This is HORRIBLE NEWS! Our Labrador Retriever will be sad too! This summer we shall definitely avoid ALL Farmers Dairy products at Sobeys!

• Shaun Swim
    February 10, 2014 - 09:31

I would suggest everybody not buy Farmers products to show your support for the employees who have lost their jobs because of big business. Hopefully someone else will open one in the area.

• Rebecca Swansburg
      February 11, 2014 - 11:16

By not supporting Farmers you are not supporting local distributors, such as Grant MacKay and Moorse George who work hard every day to keep stores stocked with milk despite it all . It is not their fault that the company they have worked for loyally made a crappy decision. I would recommend writing to the company to show your disgust with the decision. Their address is Agropur cooperative 101 Roland-Therrien Blvd. Suite 600 Longueuil, Quebec J4H 4B9. Better yet, maybe someone locally can start a petition and send it in to them. I honestly can't see anyone in Shelburne not signing a petition for such a cause.

• Shaun Swim
      February 13, 2014 - 07:58

Rebecca, I did contact Agropur and they did not even have the decency to respond. By not buying their product it would pressure on them to correct their mistake. If you support them then you are supporting all their layoffs that they have done so far with this merger.

• Shaun Swim
      February 13, 2014 - 15:21

I already contacted Agropur, but they did not even have the decency to respond. This is what happens when large companies take over small companies. They no longer care about the little people.