A number of local farmers are opening the doors and inviting Kings County residents to see where food comes from on Sept. 15.
Open Farm Day raises awareness about local agriculture and the benefits of buying local food.
"Open Farm Day is a backstage pass for consumers to see, first-hand, the hard work, skill and dedication of our farmers," said Dennis Boudreau, president of the Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture. "It helps reconnect people to where their food is coming from."
The following Kings County farmers have announced they are participating:
• Beck Farm – 2-5 p.m., tour of dry sow barn, tour of farrowing barn, information on feed, grains and wagon rides between facilities. Address: 463 Highway 221, North Kingston (off Exit 17E, turn right towards North Kingston. At the stop sign, farm is directly across from you on Bishop Mountain Road).
• Dempsey Corner Orchards – 10 a.m.-5 p.m., take part in daily activities on the farm, including picking fresh fruit and veggies, feeding baby animals, wagon rides and talking with farmers. Also available: Farm fresh tea room, Piece for Peace retail shop, kid’s playground. Address: 2717 Route 221, Aylesford (just north of Exit 16 – follow the signs).
• Meadowbrook Farm – 11 a.m.-5 p.m. – animal petting area, music, games and activities, bounce room, face painting. Note: Some activities will have small fees as fundraising for Rotary Projects. Address: 318 Pleasant Valley Road, Berwick (Exit 15, turn right, take first right onto Pleasant Valley Road for two minutes).
• Alpaca House Farm – 10 a.m.-4 p.m., see alpacas up close, meet and handle them. Address: 4745 Route 221, Berwick (from Exit 15, take Route 360 north 3.5 km to stop sign at Route 221. Turn right, travel 3.5 km and driveway is on the left).
• Boates Farm – U-pick apples, pears, plums, free apple cider sample. Address: 432 Bligh Road, Woodville (take Exit 14, turn left, five kilometres past Central Kings High School, turn right and follow signs to Woodville and Bligh Road).
• Foote Family Farm – 9 a.m.-5 p.m., walking trails, picnic tables, u-pick apples, custom cider pressing, honey extracting demonstration at 11 a.m., cider making at 2 p.m., products for sale. Address: 1972 Woodville Road, Cambridge (Exit 14, left on Route 1, right on Lovatt Road, watch for blue signs).
• Ross Creek Centre for the Arts - 12-4 p.m., organic farm and art. Address: 555 Ross Creek Road, Canning (Exit 11, turn right off ramp, straight through lights towards Canning and Port Williams - follow signs for Canning (11 km). In Canning Village, turn left at the monument. At the "T" at the top of the mountain, turn left. Turn immediately right on Ross Creek Road. Approximately 3 km down the road, on the left).
• Farmer John's Herbs – 2-5 p.m., tour of savory operation, products for sale. Address: 116 Bessie North Road, Canning (Exit 11 towards Port Williams. Follow Hwy 358 toward Canning. Follow Hwy 358 slight right onto Main Street, left onto Chapel Road, then left on North Street. Turn right onto Bessie North Road, Farm is second place on right).
• Gates U-Pick – 9 a.m.-6 p.m., free wagon rides around orchards, free apple sampling while u-picking. Address: 1269 Starr's Point Road, Port Williams (Take Exit 11, at end of ramp turn right. Proceed through lights into Port Williams. At overhead flashing light, turn right onto Starr's Point Rd. 1 km on the left, look for Gates U-pick sign).
• Willowbank U-Pick – 9 a.m.-5 p.m., u-pick apples, pumpkins, squash, corn maze, petting zoo, hay wagon rides, picnic area, nature walk. Charge for some activities. Address: 110 Starr's Point Loop, Port Williams (Exit 11, take 358 to Port Williams. Follow signs to Prescott House Museum)
• Hennigar Farms – 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Fruits and vegetables on display, golf through apple orchard (adults $10, under 12 $5), nature trail and picnic park, animals on display. Address: 10272 Highway #1, Greenwich (Exit 11 to #1 Highway. Turn right on #1 Hwy. 1 km, Hennigar’s is on the right).
• Elderkin's Farm Market Host – 8 a.m.-9 p.m., fruit u-pick. Address: 10362 Hwy #1, Greenwich ( Exit 11 - keep right to Wolfville).
• l'Acadie Vineyards - 11 a.m.-5 p.m. - learn about traditional methods champagne wine production, complimentary tasting of organic wine, view organic vineyard. Address: 310 Slayter Road, Wolfville (Exit 9 or 11 and follow grape signs. From Exit 9, go around the rotary and follow the signs to Gaspereau, turn right and go 7.3 km along Gaspereau River Road. Turn left on Slayter Road, 0.5 km on the left).
• Grand Pre Wines - 11 a.m.-5 p.m., free tours and tasting every hour on the hour. Address: 11611 Hwy 1, Grand Pre (Exit 10, follow Hwy 1, past gas station, winery is on the right).
• Highview Farm - 1-4 p.m., see cattle in pasture, petting small animals, free-range grass beef on sale. Address: 1155 Grand Pre Road, Wallbrook (Exit 10 – at exit stop sign, turn right. Go about 200 feet to stop sign and turn right. Follow this road to stop sign. Turn left onto Grand Pre Road. Follow Grand Pre Road to stop sign. Turn right and go about 200 feet and turn left before Wallbrook Baptist Church. This is the continuation of Grand Pre Road. 1155 is on the right, a couple of kilometers up the mountain).