Through her involvement with Farmers Helping Farmers back in January, Port Williams farmer Patricia Bishop, second from left, and her husband, Josh Oulton, second from right, welcomed Gikundi M'muguna, right, and Salome Ntinyari, left, from Kenya. M'muguna is in the Maritimes for six weeks and Ntinyari for six months, Bishop said, to learn, share and take home with them what they can to the woman's groups in Kenya. - Wendy Elliott, www.kingscountynews.ca
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• VWBN Meet & Greet - 7:30-9 p.m., Paddy's Pub, Wolfville (upstairs). Networking opportunity. Attendance is free to members and non-members alike. Pay only for the food and drink you order. Regular monthly meetings will resume Sept. 11.
• Reunion – for N.S. Teachers College. For information, search Internet N.S Teachers College or call 902-835-6559
• Crib Tournament – at the Kentville Legion, registration 12:30 p.m., play 1 p.m., upstairs, $20 per team. Lunch served.
• Lions Breakfast - Coldbrook Lions all you can eat breakfast, adults $5; children three to 12 years $3; two years and under free.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m., $6 per person, 19 and over, music by Big Deal.
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. $6 per person, music by RTE 12.
• Concert - St. James' Anglican Church, Kentville, will host award winning Infinitely More singing gospel, hymns, praise and worship, 7 p.m. Silent auction, refreshments and CD sale during intermission. Admission $10. Tickets at the door or Judy Hilchie 679-3245.
• Corn Boil - Harbourville Restoration Society hosting annual corn boil and hot dog roast, 5 p.m. to dusk on the beach in Harbourville. Rain date Aug. 18. Freewill offering. Any donations phone 538- 7672. Proceeds to the wharf and hall.
• Writers Workshop - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.,
Romancing the Writer. Join romance authors Donna Alward and Michelle Helliwell for a day-long retreat. Bring your work in progress or just a notebook and pen, $10, lunch provided. Prescott House Museum, Port Williams. Register: 542-3984 or email@example.com
• Rockhounding - event for families, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Scott’s Bay Community Hall Hwy #358 and Scott’s Bay Beach 16 Wharf Rd. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 542–3390 or via the Fundy Rocks Facebook page.
• Valley Drive-In Church Service - 6 p.m., Valley Drive-In, Cambridge. Speaker: Rev. Dr. Peter Lohnes, music by Chris Palmer. Freewill offering in support of Kingswood Camp. Rain date Aug. 25
• Barbecue – held by John Lohr, Kings North PC candidate, 2-5 p.m. Bessie North Road, Canning. Rain location Pereau Baptist Church. For more: 365-7256, or email email@example.com.
• Covenanter Summer Service - with speaker Rev. Judith Saunders, organist Angela Pound and Thea Burton. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
• Kid's Zombie Race - 11 a.m., $5 per child,
Hantsport Memorial Community Centre, two races - ages five-eight and nine-12. Register at http://monstersandothermayhem.weebly.com/
• North Alton Jam Session – 7-10 p.m., door prize, 50/50, lunch. Donation at the door.
• Kentville Lions Ticket Auction - tickets 20 for $1, viewing 10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m., draw starts at 2 p.m. Proceeds benefit Lions service work.
• Chicken Barbecue – at the Scott’s Bay Community Hall Association, 5 pm. $10. Proceeds to the SBCHA for hall upkeep.
• Centreville Park Day - 9 a.m. ball tournament, kids games, music, car show, yard sale and canteen. At dusk, fireworks, cake and hot chocolate. Rain date Aug. 25. More information 678-7209
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m. $6 per person 19 and over. Music by Bev.