By Amy Woolvett
THE COAST GUARD
A gale warning has hampered the brave efforts of a group of fishermen on a search to bring closure to the families and friends of the five missing fishermen.
Two boats left Woods Harbour late Thursday afternoon; the Lady Faith and the Rachel Elizabeth. The fishing boat Crustacean Frustration left the Falls Point wharf a little more than an hour later which was followed by an East Pubnico boat, the Slave Driver and 3 generations. There are also several other boats involved, including one from eastern Nova Scotia.
Thursday aircraft flew over the last known position of the capsized hull of the Miss Ally.
Only debris could be seen within a 5 nautical mile range and 10 nautical miles east of her previously known location.
RCMP said that an air force aircraft would conduct an additional flight over the area on Friday.
Despite this latest devastating turn of events, the flotilla has no intention of turning back.
- Read more special articles :
- - “Some very difficult, emotional days ahead”
- - Miss Ally’s final voyage recalled
- - Wheelhouse gone, no bodies found say divers
- - Big risks for divers on capsized boat --expert
“Despite what the RCMP says we are going to keep looking,” said Justin Malone from aboard the Lady Faith.
But gale warnings have temporarily impeded their efforts with winds from the north expected to blow at 30 knots and seas to reach three-metre swells. The boats have headed into nearby ports, including Port Mouton, to wait out the storm.
Leslie Goreham’s son is on one of the boats that hope to bring their friends home one way or another.
“There are a lot of people interested in getting to that boat,” he said. “If they can find anything at all they will be out there looking.”
While some believe the Miss Ally has sunk under the water, Goreham is not completely convinced.
“How can they be sure that it sank?” he said.
He expected to hear more of the flotilla’s plans later in the day.