A Brighton home was engulfed in flame before firefighters arrived on the scene this morning, Monday, Feb. 18.
Harold and Trudy Fritz heard crackling in the chimney, felt warmth around the flue and when they got outside they discovered the whole side of their home was on fire.
Neighbours called 911 and Brighton Barton, Digby, Plympton, Smith’s Cove and Bear River fire departments responded just before 9 a.m.
High winds fanned the flames and firefighters did not try to enter the home. Two firefighters luckily avoided serious injury when an exterior wall fell on them as they approached the front door.
Firefighters poured water into the burning remains of the first floor and later called in an excavator to tear apart the burning embers.
Firefighters left the scene about 12:30 p.m.