YARMOUTH, N.S. – The Canadian Red Cross says 10 people were temporarily displaced by a fire that happened Monday night, Jan. 29, at a multi-unit building on south Main Street.
The fire was mostly confined to one unit in the building, located at 106 Main St. While the fire was put out quickly, there was smoke sent throughout the two-storey building, which also sustained other interior damage.
The RCMP say the cause of the fire was accidental, but didn’t elaborate beyond that.
Volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross provided help.
“Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross arranged emergency lodging for a woman in her 70s from the apartment where the fire began, and will be arranging additional support today,” reads a media release sent out Tuesday morning. “Tenants of the other units found places to stay with relatives or friends until they're able to return home.”
The Yarmouth Fire Department, assisted by the Port Maitland Fire Department, responded to the fire call around 9 p.m.
Staff Sgt. Michel Lacroix of the town RCMP detachment said the RCMP also provided assistance at the scene.
“We just did a little traffic control on the street to assist the fire department,” he said. “There was nothing suspicious about the fire.”