The Southwest Nova Tourism Task Team chair and Yarmouth Mayor, Pam Mood announced on Tuesday, March 18, that 28 new tourism projects will receive funding through an investment of $414,535.
“We are excited to announce funding for projects that will help us bring more visitors to the southwest region, especially those who enjoy outdoor, culinary and cultural activities,” said Mayor Mood. “As outlined in the provincial tourism strategy, these visitors are more likely to stay longer and spend more on their vacation. We want them to enjoy great, memorable experiences throughout the region that they will share with friends and family.”
The task team investment will contribute to an estimated total investment of more than $1.3 million from tourism operators, who are developing new or existing projects in the region.
“Southwest Nova Scotia is home to many world-class tourist attractions and small businesses, and this funding will help generate much needed employment and economic growth for the area,” said Gordon Wilson, MLA Clare-Digby. “We need to attract visitors from the New England States, as well as visitors from the Maritime Provinces, and this commitment is one step in rebuilding the Southwest Nova Scotia economy.”
Funding recipient, The Song of the Paddle is a new company offering guided, themed kayaking tours of the region’s wildlife and ancient caribou migration trails, along with other historical, cultural and botanical tours.
“This grant will slingshot us forward and allow us to make capital purchases that will effectively double our touring capabilities,” said Becky Cottreau, owner of The Song of the Paddle. “We are very excited about the upcoming season and grateful for the assistance and support we’ve received from the Southwest Nova Tourism Task Team.”
The successful bids were selected through a competitive process designed to support projects with a demonstrated ability to bring new and repeat visitors to southwest Nova Scotia, encourage them to travel throughout the area, and inspire them to stay longer
Southwest Nova Tourism Task Team funding recipients:
1. Queens County Museum: "Liverpool Packet" Privateer Exhibit: Engaging interpretive exhibit showcasing Privateer history. $20,000.
2. Acadia First Nation: Spruce Roots to Canoe Routes: Mi'kmaq interpretive program within Kejimkujik National Park offering unique and authentic experiences. $20,000.
3. Trans World Travel: Acadian/Mi'kmaw Candlelight Tour along the Annapolis Royal waterfront highlighting the two cultures through song, dance, stories and food. $20,000.
4. Shelburne Museum Complex: Shelburne Museum Experiences: Bringing the Shelburne Waterfront to life with 18th century living experiences, workshops on whirligig making, and dory rides. $19,000.
5. Warner House Committee: Arts and Adventures in the Cove: Unique aspects of life on Long and Brier Islands featuring hands-on experiences within a historical setting. $15,000.
6. A Day by the Sea Tour Ltd.: Acadian Cultural Experience: Personalized guided tours of Acadian life. $12,000.
7. Le Musée des Acadiens: Le Bijou de l'Acadie: Acquainting visitors with Acadian history, culture and heritage via walking tours, hands-on events, crafts, music and food. $7,500.
8. Bear River Historical Society and Heritage Museum: Heritage Museum Project: A variety of walking and talking tours as well as experiential workshops. $7,500.
9. June Deveau Galerie Studio: Inspiration to Creation: Authentic Acadian art and culture through the eyes of an artist. $4,000.
Culture Funding Total: $125,000.
10. Bunchberry Nurseries: Botanical Adventures: Weekend workshops and tours relating to gardening. $20,000.
11. Tusket Island Tours: Tusket Island Boat Tours: A bilingual tour that includes a seafood culinary experience. $20,000.
12. Ye Olde Argyler Lodge: Lobster Bay Sea Kayaking Adventure: Guided or self-guided kayaking adventures. $20,000.
13. Trout Point Lodge: Starlight Experience: Outdoor astronomy experiences including day-time solar and night-time observations for the general travelling public. $20,000.
14. Shelburne Harbour Boat Tours: Enhancement of boat tour experience. $15,000.
15. The Song of the Paddle: Guided Kayaking Tours: Themed tours of the region's waterways including wildlife tours, ancient caribou migration trails, historical, cultural and botanical tours. $15,000.
16. Harbour's Edge B&B: Cycling Experiences: Themed self-guided bike and surrey tours. $15,000.
17. Rendez-Vous de la Baie: Le Petit Bois Interpretive Trail: Bilingual interactive guided nature experience incorporating a "citizen science" element. $15,000.
18. Darren Hudson Treeworks: Lumberjack AXEperience: Opportunity to experience being a lumberjack for a day in a controlled environment. $15,000.
19. Friends of the Yarmouth Light: Cape Forchu Walking Tours: Guided walking tours of the Cape Forchu property. $12,535.
20. Yarmouth Waterfront Gallery: 'Photograph Yarmouth' Tours: Experiential photography tours featuring local outdoor attractions. $10,000.
21. Liverpool Adventure Outfitters Ltd.: Adventure Tours: Expanded offering of tours including day, weekend, multi-day, coastal paddling and group tours. $10,000.
Outdoor Funding Total: $187,535
22. The Lobster Shack Restaurant: The Ultimate Lobster Experience: Cooking classes and demonstrations given by a local lobster fisherman. $20,000.
23. Ye Olde Argyler Lodge: Lobster Bay Culinary Adventures: New hands-on cooking classes staged in three unique environments (garden, beachside, indoors). $20,000.
24. Eel Lake Oyster Farm Ltd.: Eel Lake Oyster Farm Tour & Oyster Lovers' Afternoon Escape $20,000.
25. Boxing Rock Brewery Company Limited.: Micro Brewery Tour: Learn about the brewery process and sample product. $12,000.
26. Trout Point Lodge: Nova Scotia Seafood Cooking Experiences: Expanded offering of culinary experiences including wine and cooking classes and wild foods experiences. $10,000.
27. The Hatfield House – Tusket: Culinary experiences including authentic Acadian and local specialty dishes. $10,000.
28. IMO Foods Limited: The Story Behind the Seafood: Guided tours of the fish-processing facility. $10,000.
Total Seafood/Culinary Funding: $102,000