Red Cross aid offered to southwest Nova Scotia fire victims

Published on January 4, 2014
Red Cross logo

At the height of Friday's blizzard, at least nine people were left temporarily homeless after house fires in the southwest part of the province, one near Digby and another near Yarmouth.

Four adults and three children escaped unhurt with just the clothes they were wearing when a mid-afternoon fire gutted a rented house in a rural area about 10 kilometres north of Yarmouth.

Canadian Red Cross disaster volunteers today (Jan. 4) assisted a young couple with three children and a couple in their 40s with emergency purchases including clothing, food and personal-care items.

All seven are staying with relatives in the area for now.

Chief John Verrall of the Yarmouth Fire Department said the blaze at 768 North Ohio Road started as a chimney fire and spread quickly. Three other fire departments provided mutual aid.

A blaze around 1:30 a.m. Friday on Lewiston Road in Ashmore, about 25 kilometres southwest of Digby, displaced a man and his adult son.

Red Cross support has been offered if needed, though both men  were also being assisted by the Department of Community Services with emergency lodging and other immediate needs.

Firefighters from Weymouth and three other volunteer departments responded to that blaze.