Pine View Inn property still empty after 2012 fire

Jennifer Hoegg
Published on January 11, 2014

Two years after a fire destroyed the Pine View Inn, the Coldbrook property still sits empty, except for two boarded-up buildings.

The Valley landmark at Exit 14 burned Jan. 11, 2012, after what inspectors determined was an accidental fire. Approximately 30 people who worked at the hotel and the attached Ristorante Girasole and My Alibi Bar and Grill lost their jobs after the blaze.

See our coverage of the fire.

As of July 2012, the 6.1-acre commercial property belonged to four British Columbia residents. The group bought the former Wandlyn in 2002 and changed the name to Pine View Inn in 2010. At the time, manager Heather Ferdinand said they had "high hopes for the future."

The property was last listed for sale with Donna Conrad ReMax for $1 million. According to real estate website, the listing agreement expired in December. Conrad could not be reached before press time.  

Currently assessed at $549,600, the property was worth almost $3 million before the fire.  

The night of the blaze, Kentville firefighters responded to a fire alarm around 9:27 p.m.  On arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke and fire inside the basement floor and convention centre in the building. In frigid temperatures,  17 departments and hundreds of firefighters from four counties fought the flames.

The fire marshal’s office concluded the fire was accidental, caused by a low-pressure gas leak on the lower floor area.  It was suspected an electrical appliance being turned on and off ignited the gas.

While there have been no buyers for the property, a 2013 study commissioned by the Town of Kentville determined the area could support a hotel and the former Pine View lot was the best location for such a project. Town council was not pleased with the conclusion, as the property is just outside of Kentville’s boundaries.