Top News

Fundraiser launched for Hortonville couple displaced by fire

Firefighters from multiple departments teamed up to battle a blaze that broke out in a Hortonville home the morning of March 6.
An online crowdfunding campaign has been launched to help a Hortonville couple displaced by fire March 6.

HORTONVILLE - The community is rallying around an Annapolis Valley couple faced with starting anew following a fire.  

“They need to replace everything. All was lost,” said Jane Weber.

“My brother is restoring some pictures that were found protected in an album, but that is all that was salvaged.”

The house Peter and Colleen Thorpe had been renting in Hortonville for about nine years was destroyed by fire March 6.  

“We are so thankful that Peter and Colleen are safe. This story could have ended so differently but it is obvious God has his hand on them,” said Weber.

“Peter happened to be working away from home that day. Colleen had been called away from home unexpectedly; ten minutes later a neighbour saw the smoke (and) another ten minutes and the whole house was engulfed.”

Weber started an online crowdfunding campaign through to garner support for the couple.

“We all have those things that we mean to get around to but stay on our to-do list. Peter and Colleen’s to-do list had reinstating their tenants’ insurance. It had only been lax a month,” she said.

Donations collected will be used to purchase every day household items.

“Peter and Colleen are selfless Valley folk. If this happened to someone else, they would be the ones going to bat and making sure no one went without,” said Weber.

Peter, originally from Lockhartville, worked for the Minas Basin plant in Hantsport for 40 years before it was closed. Colleen, who is from Mount Denson, worked at Evergreen Care Home for 20 years. They’ve been married for 41 years, and have two daughters and three grandchildren.

“We are thankful for the fire departments and RCMP’s quick response,” said Weber.

“The wind was very strong that day, blowing the fire and heat towards a close neighbour. Their skill and response saved the neighbouring home.”

Donations in support of the Thorpes can be made here:

Recent Stories