BERWICK - Winter Carnival 2018 is well on its way.
The events will kick-off with plenty of food and fun the evening of Feb. 9.
Annie Corbin will lead a ‘Glow’ Trail Walk Under the Stars Nordic walking event, with registration taking place at the Apple Dome at 6:30 p.m. From there, participants will hike to the Harvest Moon Trail, through the woods and around the ball field on Brown Street, before returning to the Apple Dome.
“Put sparkle in your step and poles in your hands. Light up the night with glow lights on your walking poles,” the event poster reads.
The plan is to end the hike in time to take in some of the bonfire activities planned for 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Rainforth Park, including the fireworks display slated for 8 p.m.
If the weather cooperates, the outdoor rink will be open for public skating from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Prefer indoor events? There will be a Chili Supper and Cook-Off at the Lion’s Hall in the Kings Mutual Century Centre from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Children eat for $4, adults pay $6 or $8. The legion is hosting a baked bean supper and Chase the Ace event at the same time, with plates of supper selling for $8 or $10 with dessert. Cameron Nickerson will be providing some entertainment starting at 7:30 p.m.
The carnival continues throughout the weekend, with winter fun activities taking place at Rainforth Park on both Saturday and Sunday.
The free events were made possible in large part by community volunteers, and there will be a collection truck accepting donations for the local food bank throughout the weekend.
For regular updates, visit the Town of Berwick’s Facebook page or call 902-538-8068 ext. 2.
Saturday, Feb. 10 events:
- Breakfast at Valley Lodge No. 90: 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at the Mill Street Lodge. Adults pay $7, children eat for $3.
- Carnival Triathlon: Teams of three register through Berwick Recreation by Feb. 7. The race, involving sleds, snowshoes and skis, begins at Rainforth Park at 9:30 a.m.
- Chainsaw Carving Exhibition: Watch Justin Dagley at Rainforth Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Book sale, craft time and stories: Visit the Berwick & District Library between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Free community skate: Hit the ice at the Apple Dome from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- BBQ: Dream Team 2018/Servant’s Heart Ministries fundraiser at Rainforth Park from noon to 3 p.m.
- Horse and Wagon Ridge: Tour downtown between noon and 3 p.m.
- Snow Golf: Join Mayor Clark for a round at the Rainforth Park ballfield from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Snowshoeing: Meet Shawn Fevens at the Rainforth Park gazebo from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Snowman Toss: Children 12 and under can try this in the lobby of the Kings Mutual Century Centre during the first period of the Wildcats game.
- Valley Jr. A Wildcats game: Watch the ‘cats faceoff against Summerside at the Apple Dome starting at 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb 11 events:
- BBQ: Fundraiser running from noon to 2 p.m. at Rainforth Park
- Give Curling a Shot: Bring clean running shoes to the Curling Club from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. to give it a try.
- Winter fun with the Wildcats: Bundle up and head to Rainforth Park from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Meadowbrook vs RCMP hockey: A benefit for Relay for Life. Action takes place at the Apple Dome from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.