A very high tide wasn't dissuading those on a quest for a bass in Port Williams recently. Sharon Pottie said she was keen to match her daughter's efforts in snagging one of the fish, but preferred to keep her feet dry while she fished. – Jennifer Hoegg, www.kingscountynews.ca
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Hope and Healing - Covenanter Church, Grand Pré, service of Hope and Healing, 5:55 p.m. Organists Krisy Keech and Angela Pound. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
• Tea Service - Kings County Museum demonstration of the “Way of Tea,” 2 p.m. in the courtroom of the Kings County Museum. Noriko Kato and Hitomi Igasaki (both of Sapporo, Japan) will conduct the ceremony. Held in conjunction with the “East Meets West” exhibit. Free, donations accepted. Info: 678-6237 or www.okcm.ca.
July 28 – Aug. 1
• Weird Animals Vacation Bible School - 9:30 a.m. to noon daily at the Middleton Baptist Church. Children ages 3 to 11 are invited to participate in this wacky animal themed camp. Register: 825-3537. www.middletonbaptist.com
• Country Music Variety Show - 7 p.m. at the Hall's Harbour Fundy View Community Centre, Hwy. 359. Canteen available, 50/50, $5 adults, children $2.50 at the door. Info: email@example.com
• Berwick Lions Breakfast – 8-10 a.m. at the Berwick's Apple Dome Building, 250 Veteran's Drive. Freewill offering
• Fish Chowder Supper - 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Hall's Harbour Fire Hall, 3580 Hwy 359, Hall's Harbour. Adults $12, children $6, Take-outs available. www.hallsharbour.org
• Country Breakfast – 8-10 a.m. at the Black Rock Community Centre. Freewill offering. Sponsored by the Jolly Workers Sewing Centre
• Church Service - Covenanter Church, Grand Pré, 11 a.m. Speaker Annita Sangster. Organists Krisy Keech and Angela Pound. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
• Crib Tournament - 1787 Forties Road, New Ross. Doors open at noon, registration at 12:30 p.m. Play at 1 p.m. $20/team. Canteen available. Info: 689-2147
• Hymn Sing - at Hall's Harbour Baptist Church, 885 West Hall's Harbour Road, 7 p.m., featuring Harold Hunt and friends. Fellowship to follow.
• First World War Poetry - Gwen Davies,co-editor of Canadian Poetry from the Beginnings through the First World War, speaks on the Canadian poetry and prose of the First World War, 7:30 p.m., at the Royal Canadian Legion Hall, Wolfville. Admission free - donations welcome
• Christmas Show - Royal Canadian Legion, Wolfville and the Wolfville Historical Society shows "Joyeux Noël, Happy Christmas," 7:30 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion, Wolfville. Admission free, donations welcome.
• Meat Draw - at the RCL Br. 098, Kingston, 2 p.m. Five packages drawn following every 30 tickets sold. Win your Saturday night barbecue meat.
• Horse and Ox Pull - at the Blue Mountain Fair Grounds. Scale closes at 11:30 a.m. Breakfast 8-10:30 a.m., $4 per plate; canteen facilities available; bean and salad supper 4:30-6 p.m., $8 per plate. Admission to the grounds $2. Info: 679-3254 after 6 p.m. or leave a message
• Explore Evangeline Beach - The Valley Trekkers invite walkers to join them as they explore the Evangeline Beach area to discover some of the Fundy coastline. Meet at the Robie Tufts Monument, Front Street, Wolfville at 9:30 a.m. and car pool to the start point at 10 a.m. Info: 902- 847-1772.
• Flower and Vegetable Show – 1-4 p.m. at NSCC Kingstec Campus. Refreshments, door prizes, admission free. To enter cut flowers, vegetables, arrangements, baked goods contact Susan at 542-0878, or Jafo@Magma.ca
• Hodge Podge Supper - Forties Community Centre, 1787 Forties Road, New Ross.Doors open at 4 p.m., serving starts 4:30 p.m. Adults $11, children five to 12 $5.50, under five $2.50 Call 689-2612 or 689-2000
• Benefit Ticket Auction - with bake sale, yard sale at the Coldbrook Lions Hall, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 50/50 and children’s activities available. All proceeds go to Lewis MacDonald for medical expenses. Ticket draw at 2 p.m.
• Church Service – at Covenanter Church, Grand Pré, 11 a.m. Speaker Rev. Bruce Matthews, organists Krisy Keech and Angela Pound. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
• Bible School - Port Williams Baptist Church, 9-11:45 a.m. daily. Free morning of games, crafts, music stories and snacks. Open to children age four to the end of Grade 5. Participants are asked to bring non-perishable food for the food bank.
Info or pre-register: 542-3495 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bible School - at Waterville Baptist Church, 1243 Mill St., Waterville each afternoon, 1-3:30 p.m. Theme: Son Treasure Island. Ages four to 12, for more info, call Donna, 538-8490.
• New Ross Community Fair - Route 12, adults $5 (two-day pass $8), five to 12 $2, under five free. Home-cooked meals, adults $10, five to 12 $3, under five free. Two days full days of events. Info: Debbie at 689-2737 or 689-2115 during the fair.
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., $6 per person. Music by Rte 12
• Coldbrook Lions Breakfast - all you can eat, 8-10:30 a.m. Adults $5, children three to 12 $3, under three free
• Fundraiser - Kings Historical Love in Bloom fundraiser, 2-3:30 p.m., at Prescott House Museum, Port Williams. Theatre, refreshments and music. Fancy period attire encouraged, prize for best dressed. Tickets, $12, available at 37 Cornwallis St., Kentville. Info: 678-6237