At the end of the 2013-2014 school year, Horton High School graduated the first-ever students from its International Baccalaureate program. The 19 students spent the last two years in an accelerated, specialized program of study and in the process, earned an IB diploma. All 19 students, who wrote their final exams in May and received their diplomas along with the rest of the Horton graduates, are shown following a recognition evening at the school in early June. - John DeCoste, www.kingscountynews.ca
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to email@example.com; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Vacation Bible School - with “the Doreys,” 9:30 a.m. to noon, daily, at former Tremont Hall, 738 Tremont Mt. Road, for children ages five to Grade 5. Info: Leon Langille, 825-9329. Hosted by Peoples 25:40 Church and Church of the Nazarene.
• Strawberry Salad Supper - Pereaux Baptist Church, 4:30-7 p.m. Take out service available. Adults $12, Children 10 and under $6
• Cemetery Tour - 2 p.m., Riverbank Cemetery. Info: call Hantsport Visitor Centre, 684-3211
• Kentville Lion’s Club Dance - 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., 78 River St. $6 per person, $10 a couple, complimentary munchies, spot dances, door prize, 50/50 draw, Music by Vintage. Info: 679-4899. Proceeds to support Lion’s projects
• Wolfville & District Lions Breakfast – 7-10 a.m. 36 Elm Ave., Wolfville. Adults $6, children under 10 $3. Proceeds for community projects.
• Crib - Ladies auxiliary crib tournament, Kentville Legion. Registration 12:30 p.m., play 1 p.m. Upstairs, $20 per team. Lunch provided by the Ladies Auxiliary
• Coldbrook Lions Breakfast – 8-10:30 a.m. Adults $5, children three to 12 $3, under three free
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., $6 per person. Music by Rte 12
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9 p.m. to 12 a.m., $7 per person must be 19 and over, bar and kitchen available. Music by Still Doin Time
• Strawberry Tea – 2-4 p.m., Black River Community Hall. Freewill donations for upkeep of the community hall
• Covenanter Church Service - Grand Pré, 11 a.m., speaker Chaplain Laurie Perrin. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
• Flower/Vegetable Show and Tea – held by the Wilmot Garden Club at the Kingston Lions Hall. Show and dessert tea 2-4:30 p.m. with door prizes at 3 p.m. Admission $5, includes dessert with tea, coffee or juice. To show flowers or vegetables, see the rules at www.wilmotgardenclub.net or contact 765-0906.
• Ice Cream Social - 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Weston Community Hall, Brooklyn St.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9 p.m. to 12 a.m., $7 per person, must be 19 and over, bar and kitchen available. Music by Appaloosa
• Garden Show and Dessert Tea – held by Champlain Garden Club, 2-5 p.m., at the legion Community Center, 66 Victoria St. Annapolis Royal. Forms available at the historic Gardens. Please bring specimens and arrangements to the Legion 8-10 a.m. Saturday. Admission $5. Info: 532-0834, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Service - Covenanter Church, Grand Pré, 11 a.m., speaker Rev. Peter Robbins, organist Krisy Keech and Angela Pound. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
• Hope and Healing - Covenanter Church, Grand Pré, service of Hope and Healing, 5:55 p.m. Organists Krisy Keech and Angela Pound. Lemonade on the lawn to follow.
July 28 – Aug. 1
• Weird Animals Vacation Bible School - 9:30 a.m. to noon daily at the Middleton Baptist Church. Children ages 3 to 11 are invited to participate in this wacky animal themed camp. Register: 825-3537. www.middletonbaptist.com