King’s-Edgehill boys finish 1-2 at high school provincials

Dan Boyd
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The King’s-Edgehill School’s entry at the Division I NSSAF Boys High School Provincial Hockey Championship in St. Margaret's Bay in mid-March finished at 1-2 and in third place in their division, three points behind host Sir John A. MacDonald Flames.

Only the top two teams in each division advanced to the provincial semi-finals.

In their opening game early Friday afternoon, March 21, KES battled the host Sir John A. Flames for 40 minutes and were tied 2-2 going into the third period before having three unanswered goals scored upon them and losing 5-2.

KES scored two power-play goals in the second period off the sticks of Isaac Bridge and Matt Prosper.  

In their second game of the tournament, KES rebounded for a 7-2 victory over the Memorial Marauders from North Sydney.

It was one of three straight losses suffered by Memorial over the weekend and one of six losses suffered by the two Cape Breton teams entered.

KES took a 4-0 lead after the first period and a 5-1 lead after 40 minutes.

King’s-Edgehill got on the scoreboard by scoring two goals, both coming off the stick of Brett Bittner, before the game was a minute old. Prosper and Seth Brison rounded out the scoring for KES in the opening period. Bittner then whipped home his third goal of the game on the power-play with 29 seconds left in the second period.

Bittner was still not finished as he scored his fourth of the game with nine minutes to play in the third period.

Prosper closed out the scoring for KES late in the third.

Phillip Miller turned away eight of the 10 shots he faced in the game.

In their final game of the tournament, in which they needed a win to advance to the semi-finals, King’s-Edgehill fell 3-2 to the powerful Metro High School Hockey League champions the CP Allen Cheetahs, from Bedford.

The Cheetahs scored with 16 seconds left in the opening period to grab a 2-1 lead, the goal coming after Robert Burrows tied the game at 1-1 for KES.  The Cheetahs scored on the power-play in the second period to go up 3-1. Bittner, with less than seven minutes to play in the final period, moved KES to within a goal, but they could not get the equalizer.

The game turned somewhat chippy in the closing stages as Bittner and Brison both drew four minute penalties for head contact. KES killed off both those penalties. Miller turned away 17 of 20 shots in the 3-2 loss.



Organizations: Metro High School Hockey League, King's-Edgehill School

Geographic location: North Sydney, Cape Breton, King's-Edgehill School

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page