Kentville firefighters responded to the original alarm at 3:22 p.m. to Centreville, Kings County.
"We were able to get all the animals out," Fire Chief Ryan MacEachern said of the six or seven pets, "but we couldn't revive them."
"Four or five" dogs and two cats died from smoke inhalation, he said.
"I feel the family's pain," MacEachern said. "Our pets are a big part of our family"
Speaking at the scene, the chief said he observed heavy smoke "coming from all the windows" of the residence on his arrival. Later, he added that the fire appeared to have started in the basement area and was likely woodstove-related.
The homeowners were insured, MacEachern said, and, though they may be homeless temporarily, the damage to the home is repairable.
Mutual aid was automatically dispatched from New Minas and Waterville and District to the scene on Butler Road as part of the new regional mutual aid protocol.
Province: | Section : Local