Younger generation’s voice missing from Hantsport dissolution talks

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

For the latest Town of Hantsport news, be sure to read the Hants Journal.

Despite living in an alleged parasitic community, I follow the local political affairs concerning nearby Hantsport and while I have absolutely no vote or opinion as to what the town should do regarding dissolution, I attend most of the local meetings mainly because there is usually nothing better worth watching on the television.

To be fair, I am mainly interested as to what is to become of the Hantsport Memorial Community Centre.

 The striking observation I have made when attending these various town hall meetings is the age demographics. When I look around at the attendees, I ask myself “Where are all the young people of the town?”.

Hantsport has 921 registered voters and 40 per cent of which are seniors.

If my sums are right that equates to around 360 seniors and at most recent meetings the crowd is 90 per cent, plus, seniors.

I think I can count on one hand the number of the younger generations at any one of these meetings.

Are these younger folks so disinterested in Hantsport that they can’t be bothered to attend? I dunno.

Are these younger folks bothered with all this dissolution stuff regarding Hantsport? Obviously not.

Maybe they have better things to do where as for the seniors, and I include myself in that category, have lived in the past and many remain there. To those folks, it is vital that Hantsport remain stuck in its past history. Oh, ”the good old days!”

The younger generation is obviously living in the now and probably take the view that Hantsport will always be Hantsport, and no matter if the town remains a town, becomes a village, or it becomes a part of another municipality, they will still

be over taxed while striving to simply survive in an overtaxed province with a $15 billion debt.

Here’s an interesting quote to leave you with: “History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history we make today. (Henry Ford)

 

 

David Old,

Hants Border

 

Organizations: Town of Hantsport

Geographic location: Hantsport, Town of Hantsport, West Hants Kings County

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • It's simple
    August 29, 2014 - 07:38

    This is an easy one. There are a number of young people interested in what happens to Hantsport. The problem is a lot work shift work and drive their kids to sporting events or activities when not working. When you're retired it's easy to make all of the meetings.

    • Isabel Ringer
      September 06, 2014 - 23:11

      In reply to "It's simple", & with all due respect, what that person has written is simply balderdash. There are 921 voters in Hantsport & 40% are seniors, That means that the remaining 60% equates to 552 non seniors and you try to tell folks that 99% of those are either working or driving their kids to different events & cannot attend Town meetings....unbelievable! You say its easier for seniors to make these meetings.....again unbelievable! Most of these Town Hall meetings start @ 7.00pm & end well past most seniors bed time. Young people have no idea of sacrifice.