LETTER: West Hants council’s conduct called into question

On Tuesday evening, June 10, I attended the monthly meeting of the West Hants Municipal Council.

It would appear to me that 1.) we have councillors at the table who do not speak or maybe they sleep during the meeting; 2.) councillors who cannot make up their minds; 3.) at least one councilor who feels he can disrespect the taxpaying citizens of West Hants; 4.) councillors who make up their own rules to suit themselves; and 5.) a warden who doesn't hear what is being said by the councillors.

This particular meeting, as many in the past, was a blatant display of ‘we don't care what our citizens want, we will do what we want.’

Following the meeting, I asked the question: “Does the council have a Code of Conduct?” and was informed they do. However, when Coun. Randy Matheson referred to the concerned citizens who attended the meeting as the peanut gallery, not one of the councillors or warden chose to speak up. Yes, after the meeting Coun. Matheson apologized, with the comment that after all he was being heckled at the time. My advice to Coun. Matheson would be that old saying if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Coun. Shirley Pineo stated that she thought the public had misunderstood what the municipality wanted in regard to receipts before paying the Windsor Fire Service. If it took council many, many months to clue in to that fact, I believe the people of West Hants are in serious trouble when it comes to our municipal council. They must ask themselves this at voting time: Are these the kind of people I want representing me in municipal matters?

Barb Gould,

Falmouth

Organizations: West Hants Municipal Council, Windsor Fire Service

Geographic location: West Hants

Comments

Comments

• Nimajneb Card
    June 16, 2014 - 18:02

Go aunt Barb! I agree %100. In my opinion the wrong type of people are in power and making important decisions well beyond their qualifications and pay grade.

• proudWHff
    June 16, 2014 - 14:10

I call into question all the peanut gallery heckling from these so called concerned citizens. It seems very one sided that all the problems of the recent years seem to stem from the LONG serving members of West Hants council. I wonder why through 60 years of service these issues only arise now. Maybe we should look closer to see what has truly changed to instigate this disharmony. If you were to listen to all this rhetoric you might think that WFD was the only fire service in the county. Maybe its just because its the only one having problems with council that they seem so important. It is despicable that a few people can threaten the safely of so many. How much** did it take to get that unanimous vote to end service to West Hants? I wonder what the current count of barred members is from the WFD and how many just simply whispered yes when really they wanted to yell nay. It is not the West Hants council that is going to suffer from this despicable threat, it is the home owners and business people of West Hants that will suffer the most. A true sign of leadership is inclusion and fostering team work during a difficult time. Is unfortunate for the many that a few can't see past their own egos and remember who and why they serve. Shameful. **Sentence modified to comply with web commenting policy

• Jamie Harvey
      June 17, 2014 - 07:56

If you're a proud West Hants firefighter as your name indicates then why do you hide behind a fake name?

• Randy Hussey
      June 17, 2014 - 16:24

The fire service is just one issue, the broader issue is that neither council, Windsor or West Hants wants to work with the other side. The long serving members of West Hants Council are simply poisoned against any cooperation and that is where the base of the problem lies. In this day and age we need cooperation which these Councillors refuse to do. That was evident when Councillor Matheson rescinded the motion to work with other municipal units. If the both municipal units could work together the fire service would be worked out as well.

• jeff
      June 18, 2014 - 07:07

Can you name me an organization out there today that would continue to provide a service to someone who owes them $800 000?

• Oh Joy
      June 18, 2014 - 13:51

The hilarious thing about this whole deal is that this "we're the silent majority" crap has been played over and over again. Every single time the numbers are brought into the question it's always this "silent majority" that we hear of. How many pro West Hants letters have I read? None. How many names can I tie to this? None. While I don't disagree that Windsor fire has probably made mistakes in the past we need to drop this threat to sever ties and work with them to help improve for the future. Please West Hants, I plead with you to work with Windsor fire. I've heard rumors already that West Hants is planning on making a motion to buy a fire truck on Tuesday. Sick to my stomach over this.

• Roger Beaton
    June 16, 2014 - 10:36

Here here well said.

• proudWHff
      June 17, 2014 - 14:45

One look at the lynch mob mentality here and its no wonder I don't use my real name. I find it amusing that you chose to challenge my name and not the truth of what I say. Any Dick and Jane in the valley can rant and rave about perceived wrongs the truth will come out in the wash.