The Hants Journal provides readers with a look back at what made news 25 and 50 years ago.
Here's a look at what was making the news 25 and 50 years ago in the Hants Journal.
25 years ago (Feb. 15, 1989 paper)
â˘ The Windsor Jaycees donated funds to the Hants West Minor Hockey Association to help cover their growing deficit. The associationâs projected deficit for the season was $10,000.
â˘ Art Loner was presented with a plaque to commemorate his 20 years of service with the Hantsport Fire Department. Other firefighters receiving awards were Craig Couvilier and Fred Salter, for 15 years of service, and Robert Burden, for 10 years.
â˘ The Hantsport Lions Club presented the Hantsport School Student Council with 12 posters dealing with drug and alcohol abuse to be hung at the school.
â˘ The West Hants District School Board announced the Department of Government Services was busy planning the construction of a 14-room school for Windsor.
The Windsor Elementary School, which was to be built on land accessible by the south entrance of Tremain Crescent, was to be modeled after Beaverbank Elementary School in Lower Sackville.
â˘ A group of 30 Hants County farmers, who were predominantly sheep farmers, gathered in Windsor to discuss the increasing problem of dealing with coyotes.
Four coyote experts were on hand for the meeting. Roy MacKenzie, a sheep specialist with the Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture, told the farmers that coyotes were âadapting to initial control methods.â
â˘ Influenza A arrived in the province. Dr. Wayne Sullivan, with the Department of Health and Fitness, assured citizens that it was not an outbreak.
â˘ Deidre Lake, a Hants West Rural High School Grade 12 student, was selected to represent the Windsor area at the International Rotary Clubâs Adventure in Citizenship in Ottawa May 8-11. She was selected after presenting a five-minute speech on the topic of Canadaâs refugee policy.
â˘ A feature on a 200-year farming tradition appeared in the Journal.
The story was about Avondaleâs Century Farm, run by Brian and Barb Knowles.
It was reported that Brianâs father, David, and uncle, Gordon, still helped around the farm, and that during the previous six years, the farmers tripled the milk quota and doubled the herd.
â˘ The 1988 Arthritis Campaign in West Hants was reported to have been quite a success, raising a total of $8,800.
50 years ago (Feb. 12, 1964 paper)
â˘ It was reported that a new recreation centre for Windsor was in the works and community members were optimistic that funding could be obtained through grants from the provincial and federal governments. About $35,000 had already been raised by the community.
The plan was to construct the centre, which was estimated to cost $105,000, so that it could house an L-shaped regulation-sized swimming pool to accommodate swimmers from April to October, a wading pool for toddlers, and three tennis courts.
The site, near Fort Edward, would be landscaped and provide bleachers for spectator viewing.
â˘ On Feb. 10, the congregations of two of Windsor's historic churches voted to unite as one under the United Church of Canada. The churches were Trinity United and St. John's United. The name of the new church was to be decided at a later date.
St. John's United Church was formerly Presbyterian and was built in 1899. It became United in 1925. Trinity United was Methodist until 1925. The first Methodist Church was built in Windsor in 1854, however it was destroyed by fire. A second church, at the same location, also burned down. Trinity United was built in the same area in 1939.
â˘ Wilbert McCullough, of Noel Shore, was presented with a meritorious service certificate by the Bureau of Statistics, Ottawa, for 34 years of statistical reporting on agricultural matters.
â˘ Rev. Adebnego Obotal, principal of the Anglican College of Soroti, Uganda, East Africa, was coming to Hants County to be the special parish speaker. He was to visit Walton, Mount Uniacke and Brooklyn on Feb. 16. He was to visit Windsor later in the month.
â˘ Windsor firefighter James Kerr was presented with a certificate of membership into the Turtle Club by R. M. McColl, the secretary-manager of the Nova Scotia Accident Prevention Association. The club was formerly known as the Hard Hat Club.
Kerr was the 96th man to become a member of the Turtle Club, and the first firefighter to be so honoured.
â˘ Members of the Women's Missionary Society in Three Mile Plains met and celebrated their 21st year in operation. Five charter members were present, and a cake, made by Mrs. Wilford MacLean, was served.
â˘ Dr. H.R. Roby was honoured for his radiological services to the Blanchard Fraser Memorial Hospital over a 14-year period with the presentation of a watch. The doctor left to devote his time to the Payzant Memorial Hospital in Windsor and the Eastern Kings memorial Hospital in Wolfville.
â˘ H. H. Pulsifer Ltd. was selling a one-pound box of chocolates âattractively arrangedâ with flowers for just $7.50.
â˘ General Motors introduced its new Epic Envoy to the public. The vehicle was designed with âspecial attention to winter driving.â Included as a special feature was a âfull size heater capable of providing room temperatureâ at -40 C.
â˘ It was a family affair at the curling club in Guysborough as three of the rinks were skipped by family members. It was reported that Mr. and Mrs. Marlow and their son, Kirk, were heading their respective teams in 1964. The family's Hants County connection was that Mrs. Marlow was the former Dorothy Hennessy, of Brooklyn.