Lights on: Nova Scotia Power says all post-Arthur outages finally resolved

Ruth Davenport, Metro Halifax
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Nova Scotia Power crews at work July 8 in Kentville.

METRO HALIFAX

A week after post-tropical storm Arthur knocked out power to nearly 100,000 Nova Scotia Power customers, the power company says the lights are back on.

The power corporation tweeted late Saturday night that “All customers affected by the storm have now had their power restored.”

Arthur barreled into the Maritimes on July 5, causing widespread damage and power outages – and frustration over the outages built steadily as the week went on.

NSP CEO Bob Hanf apologized in the middle of the week for communication errors that resulted in customers being told their power had been restored when it hadn’t.

Power has now been restored for all but a handful of customers who first need work done on their service entrance by an electrician.

“It would be individual circumstances. So people whose … service entrance to their home would have sustained damage as a result of the storm,” said NSP spokesperson Stacey Pineau, adding the company has been in touch with the customers in question.

Premier Stephen McNeil announced Friday that the provincial regulator would review the power company’s response to Arthur, calling the delays “inexcusable.”

NSP said in a release that it “welcomed” the review.

With most of the hurricane season still to come, Pineau said Sunday that the company is already looking for ways to improve.

“We’ll certainly…be taking a good look at our response, and we always implement any lessons that we’ve learned on an ongoing basis, whenever we have any sort of storm event,” she said.

Organizations: Nova Scotia Power

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments