Daniel LeBlanc set down roots there in 1650
LeBlanc descendants from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and as far away as Louisiana made the journey to be part of this ceremony.
A very well attended unveiling of the LeBlanc Monument took place in Belleisle on the morning of Saturday, July 19, 2014.
Family, friends and neighbours gathered to commemorate this long awaited event.
The Acadian LeBlanc name is carried far and wide as it is one of the largest Acadian families. LeBlanc descendants from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and as far away as Louisiana made the journey to be part of this ceremony.
Daniel LeBlanc and Françoise Gaudet were married in Port Royal in 1650 and set their roots east of a large marsh (today known as the Belleisle Marsh) in the “LeBlanc Village,” which is about 13 kilometres from the Fort (Annapolis Royal) on the north side of the Rivière Dauphin (Annapolis River).
The monument stands on the lands where the first LeBlanc that came to Acadie built his family home.
Information provided by Robert and Diane Surette of Belleisle