Waterville Airport sign
A motion to extend the closure date for the municipal airport in Waterville failed to make it on the agenda at Kings County's June 17 committee of the whole meeting.
Coun. Pauline Raven asked to have an item added that she gave notice of on June 10, to extend the closure date from Sept. 30, 2014, to Sept. 30, 2015.
She said the reason was a concern expressed from a constituent about the expense of having to house their plane in a Yarmouth hangar over the winter. Raven said she isn't aware of any reason why the county couldn't extend the deadline.
- Read more special articles:
- UPDATED: Video - Will Michelin expand onto Waterville airport land?
- Public meeting held on possible Waterville Airport sale
- Waterville airport flying off
- UPDATED: Province, Kings County want to move Waterville airport
Warden Diana Brothers said council doesn't know if Michelin would need the land for expansion prior to Sept. 2015 or not at this time.
The vote to add the agenda item was defeated with Raven and councillors Emma Van Rooyen and Jim Winsor voting in favour. The rest of council voted against it.
Two thirds majority is required to add an item to the agenda.