UPDATED: Smouldering cigarette butt likely cause of North Kentville house fire

Kirk Starratt
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A discarded cigarette in a butt jar was the apparent cause of a house fire on McKittrick Road in North Kentville this afternoon, June 9.

Kentville fire chief Ryan MacEachern said his department was called to the scene at about 2:30 p.m. It was first thought that the fire had started in a clothes dryer, but after closer investigation, firefighters determined that a cigarette smoldering in a butt jar was the likely cause.

 MacEachern said there was heavy fire damage to the basement of the single-storey home.

“The house will be livable again,” he said.

Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours. Canning responded in mutual aid to cover the Kentville firefighters and New Minas responded in mutual aid as well, in case extra water was needed.

No firefighters were injured, but MacEachern said an elderly woman who lived in the upstairs suffered minor smoke inhalation and was transported by paramedics to hospital for a check-up.

Geographic location: North Kentville, Kentville, New Minas McKittrick Road

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Kevin
    June 09, 2014 - 15:27

    I had just left Aldershot school with a bus load of kids and noticed the smoke coming from the venmar on the roof. I stopped a car and asked him to call it in and continued on. Hope no one was injured.