The Queens Adult High School’s fate hangs in the balance due to a funding shortfall of $100,000.
Geoff Cainen, Superintendent of Schools with the South Shore Regional School Board (SSRSB), says federal government grant provided them with around $100,000 to run the adult high school. That grant has been cut.
“We aren’t far enough in the budget process right now to know if we have that kind of money,” says Cainen.
The SSRSB has not passed a budget yet so the fate of the high school is still undetermined.
“We’re probably about six weeks away from passing a budget and that will be part of the discussion for sure but there absolutely has not been any decision yet,” says Cainen.
Jennifer Naugler, Chair of the SSRSB, had originally stated the adult high was closing after June but Cainen says Naugler misspoke.
The SSRSB has been in contact with the federal government regarding the grant for about two weeks and so far they have only been able to secure funding until the end of June.
“We’re still struggling to go back and forth to see if we can’t secure funding for another year,” says Cainen.
Cainen says the grant would have also been cut from other school boards as well that now find themselves in a similar situation.
Teachers were informed on May 5 that they may not be returning to their teaching positions at the Queens Adult High School in September.
“For us to meet the contractual agreements of the Nova Scotia Teachers Union, we had to inform teachers in the adult ed. Program in Lunenburg and Queens Counties that if the board decides to remove adult ed., we had to let the teachers know,” says Cainen.