Kentville and New Minas firefighters were tied up for most of Wednesday
afternoon fighting a stubborn chimney fire on East Main Street in
Firefighters responded to the alarm at 241 Main Street at 1:06 p.m., and
on their arrival, found a working chimney fire in the two-storey residence.
According to Deputy Chief Jeff Martin, the officer in charge, the fire
cracked the chimney. Martin was concerned it might have gotten into the
floor spaces, so New Minas was dispatched to mutual aid to the scene.
Martin described the blaze as "a stubborn, long-duration chimney fire."
Firefighters fought the blaze both inside the house and outside, using the
department's 100-foot aerial ladder, as well as investigating whether the
fire had spread to the walls or floors.
Martin confirmed there were no injuries. The occupants of the house were
all outside by the time firefighters arrived. Firefighters returned to
their station at 4:45 p.m.
Martin stressed the importance to homeowners to keep chimneys and
wood-burning appliances properly maintained. Chimneys should be checked at least twice a year as a matter of course, and more often than that -
ideally, "once a month, to be safe" - during a winter like this one, with
cold weather and fluctuating temperatures.
The deputy chief confirmed this was the third chimney fire Kentville
firefighters had responded to within five days. On Monday, Feb. 10,
Kentville responded to a working chimney fire in Coldbrook, and on
Saturday, Feb. 8, to another chimney fire that destroyed a garage and
caused damage to an adjacent house.
Overall, he said, this year so far has been "no worse than usual, given
the type of winter it's been." Overall, as of 5 p.m. On Feb. 12, Kentville
had responded to 26 alarms since the start of 2014.