By Kirk Starratt
A gigantic smoke plume billowing into the sunny late-morning sky could be seen from miles away.
A blaze claimed an Avonport chicken barn on Oct. 5, but luckily, no one was injured in the incident and there weren’t any chickens inside at the time.
Wolfville Fire Chief Kirk Fredericks said the call came in to their department at around 10 a.m. He said he wasn’t first to the scene, as he was in the woods hunting when the call came in. The Hantsport Fire Department was first to arrive.
“It was fully involved when they got here,” Fredericks said. “It was quite spectacular.”
Mutual aid was called in from 10 Valley departments, from Kentville to Brooklyn, Hants County. Greenwich firefighters provided stand-in assistance at the Wolfville fire hall and RCMP officers responded to help control traffic and keep vehicles out of the way of emergency responders.
The barn, which measured about 260 feet long by about 50 feet wide, was fully destroyed in the blaze. Fredericks said in a phone interview from the scene just before 1:30 p.m. that there were a couple metal clad walls and parts of the roof left standing. However, those walls were going to be brought down by an excavator so firefighters could get at the smoldering straw and make sure the fire was extinguished. He estimated it would be at least another hour before firefighters could leave.
He said the large ponds at Haliburton Farms were a great help to firefighters. The seven tanker trucks that initially responded were using the water to fill up and Hantsport hooked directly into one of the ponds.
Fredericks said there was no word on whether or not the barn was insured. It was being set up for chickens to be moved in at the time of the fire.
To view a slideshow from the scene, click HERE.