Hantsport firefighters quickly tame Bishopville Road grass fire

Carole Morris-Underhill
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Members of the Hantsport Fire Department quickly brought a Friday afternoon grass fire under control.

Hantsport Fire Chief Peter Johnston said they were called out to a property on Bishopville Road April 18 at 2:09 p.m. About 20 firefighters attended the fire call, and Windsor firefighters were on standby at the Hantsport station.

“The homeowner was burning some brush. It got away from him,” said Johnston, who stressed the importance of never leaving a fire unattended.

“Keep an eye on it,” Johnston offered when asked what folks should do when burning yard waste.

According to a press release issued by the provincial government earlier this year that announced changes to burning regulations, it was noted that it’s best to save brush in a covered pile and burn it between Oct. 15 and March 15, which is when burning restrictions are not in effect.

The press release notes “winter burning allows for a cleaner, safer burn with less smoke and risk of wildfire.”

Permits are no longer required to burn domestic brush in the province. Those wishing to burn during wildfire season are instructed to visit an online burning restrictions map to know when it is acceptable and safe to burn a pile of brush.

The map can be viewed online at www.novascotia.ca/burnsafe. The same information is available by calling 1-855-564-2876.

Organizations: Hantsport Fire Department, Department of Natural Resources

Geographic location: Hantsport, Bishopville Road, Windsor Hants County Kings County

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page