Man released from custody in case of discovery of body in Grove Road home

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

By Tina Comeau



A Yarmouth County man who has been in custody since his December arrest after the remains of an elderly man were discovered inside a Grove Road residence has been released from custody on conditions and is due to be back in court on March 10.

In provincial court in Yarmouth on Jan. 28 the judge accepted a list of release conditions for Timothy Stanley Adams that had been agreed to by the Crown and defence.

One of the release conditions prohibits Adams from being within 50 metres of 55 Grove Road, except for one time when he is permitted to be accompanied by the RCMP to retrieve personal belongings he has inside the house.

“You will have to contact the Yarmouth town RCMP to get somebody to agree to go to that house to get your stuff,” Judge Gregory Lenehan told Adams.

Adams is facing two Criminal Code charges – one count of neglecting to perform duties with reference to burial and one count of offering indignities to human remains. When the charges were filed with the court it listed the offence dates as having occurred between Jan. 22 and Dec. 3, 2013.

On Dec. 3, the RCMP forced their way into a residence at 55 Grove Road to check on the elderly man who lived there, 76-year-old Stanley Ernest Adams. Neighbours had raised concerns about the man’s well-being as he had not been seen for some time.

Timothy Adams, whom neighbours said was the man’s nephew, was living in the house.

The RCMP discovered the elderly man’s body inside the residence and it was evident that he had been deceased for a long time – although for how long, along with the cause of death, could not be immediately surmised.

An autopsy was ordered. An RCMP spokesperson said on Jan. 28 that the results were not yet known.

"I have made enquiries with the Major Crimes Unit and they confirmed we have not received the results of the autopsy. Accordingly, the cause or time of death are unknown," said Sgt. Alain LeBlanc.

On Dec. 4, Timothy Adams was sent to the East Coast Forensic Hospital in Dartmouth, where a psychiatric assessment was conducted. He was due back in court a few weeks later but the matter was adjourned to allow for the continuation of the assessment.

There was no discussion of the report in court on Jan. 28. Adam’s lawyer David Curry told the Vanguard the lawyers and court are still determining what is going to be done with the findings of the report. The court, defence and Crown all have a copy of the report, which Curry said would be reviewed further. The assessment report may be discussed during Adam’s next court appearance, he said.

Meanwhile, some of the other release conditions set by the court include Adams informing the RCMP within 24 hours of his release as to where he will be residing – it was stated in court he did not have a specified address yet to go to. An RCMP officer did come speak with Adams before he left the Yarmouth Justice Centre.

He must check in weekly by telephone with the RCMP. He is not allowed to leave the province and he cannot be in possession of weapons as outlined by the court, such as firearms. He is also not to consume alcohol or drugs.

The court also put in a clause restricting him from having contact with two specific individuals, one of whom had the same last name of the accused.

“I haven’t talked to them in 14 years,” Adams said, to which the judge interrupted him by saying, “Alright, don’t start now.”














Organizations: RCMP, East Coast Forensic Hospital

Geographic location: Yarmouth County, 55 Grove Road, Dartmouth

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page