Crew abandon sinking scallop boat

The Lady JLN

Digby fishermen rescued from life raft, on way home

(Corrected for boat name, Brittany & Madison 3)

Crew of the Digby scallop vessel Lady JLN were rescued tonight after abandoning their sinking ship in Chignecto Bay near Parrsboro.

Coast Guard Westport, which was monitoring radio traffic, said the crew took to a liferaft and were picked up by another scallop vessel about 8 p.m.

Early reports said the second vessel was the ‘Soldier Boy’, although the coast guard said the crew were being returned to Digby aboard the Brittany & Madison 3, skippered by the owner of the Lady JLN.

The coast guard could not confirm the Lady JLN had sunk.

Organizations: Coast Guard

Comments

Comments

• Carlos Strickland
    January 23, 2014 - 12:12

I use to work on scallop trawlers and I'll tell you there is nothing more scarier than being on a sinking trawler at night when it's sinking. Thankfully the Coast Guard brought us 4 portable pumps and damage control kit we were able to keep it from sinking and used the damage control kit to stop the oncoming water from sinking the boat. Thank you GOD and the U.S.Coast Guard,and my fellow shipmates we never gave up and brought the trawler back to the dock where the proper repairs were made.

• Evelyn Hayden
    January 18, 2014 - 12:46

Yes, Crystal Anne-- You are right. God had everything to do with it. And Thank You for sharing your faith through this media. May God Bless you, the members of the crew, and all who helped in the rescue of the crew under God's leading.

• Crystal Randell
    January 18, 2014 - 06:08

My husband was one of the crew and I am so proud of the men and their quick actions that saved their lives and for the Soldier Boy who came to their aid! It is now 7am and I am happy to report that the men have arrived back in Digby and my wonderful husband is on his way home! Thank you God for being so good and keep our men at sea safe!

• Lynn Heisler
      January 18, 2014 - 23:09

Crystal...my son was on that boat also and I agree with everything you said here. Very grateful they are all okay and so proud of my son. And thanks to those who came to help.

• Chris
    January 18, 2014 - 01:09

God had nothing to do with it. That's what happens when a well-trained crew doesn't panic and does what needs to be done. Glad everyone is okay and it's too bad about the boat.

• Crystal
      January 18, 2014 - 06:27

I'm sorry you feel that way but I believe God had everything to do with it if God was not on that boat with those men -simply put - they would not be here and would not be coming home.

• Katts
      January 18, 2014 - 10:19

God gave them the guidance's and kept them safe. God has everything to do with it. We learn by listening to His voice within us. He guide us and show us, but it up to us if we want to listen. Yes it good to have training but God is the one we should thank for being there.

• Gabby
      January 18, 2014 - 15:47

Forget it Chris, we live in a world where people are generally delusional and believe that some mystical higher power which magically save people randomly. Training and each other are the only factors that will keep you alive in high seas. Glad they are home.

• eric
      January 18, 2014 - 17:23

wow! people still believe in god?..doesn't seem like it.

• Cheryl Ross- Perry
    January 17, 2014 - 22:25

so glad everyone is safe. Digby does not need another fishing fatality. God bless!