Home destroyed by fire on North Ohio Road

Carla
Carla Allen
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A blaze at the height of the blizzard on Friday destroyed a building where seven resided.

Seven people are homeless after a fire destroyed a residence on the North Ohio Road during the blizzard on Friday.

The early afternoon blaze was a mutual aid call, with the Yarmouth Fire Department, Lakes & District, Port Maitland and Valley & Districts fire departments responding. Nova Scotia Power was on the scene to disconnect power and Transport and Infrastructure Renewal equipment operators assisted by plowing the road to the fire.

Yarmouth fire chief John Verrall says residents and firefighters were unharmed after the fire. The residence was completely destroyed by the blaze and an excavator levelled the remains of the structure afterwards. The incident began as a chimney fire.

"The challenge was the weather," said Verrall. The wind chill factor was -24 Celsius at the time.

Dan Bedell, communications director for the Canadian Red Cross in the Atlantic Provinces, says the Yarmouth office has assisted one couple with three children and another couple in their 40s.

"They were provided with food, clothing and comfort kits (personal care kits)."

Those displaced by the fire are staying with relatives for the time being and were provided with contact numbers and referrals to the Salvation Army. Neighbours and the community are also rallying to help. Carleton Country Outfitters is one of the businesses accepting donations.

A benefit is scheduled for Feb. 8 at the Melbourne Hall to raise funds for one of the couples who lost items to the fire.

Several pets were rescued from the blaze. These include seven rabbits that are available for adoption through PetValu Yarmouth on Starrs Road. Proceeds will go towards the former owners of these animals.

A blaze around 1:30 a.m. Friday on Lewiston Road in Ashmore, about 25 kilometres southwest of Digby, displaced a man and his adult son. Red Cross support has been offered if needed, though both men  were also being assisted by the Department of Community Services with emergency lodging and other immediate needs. Firefighters from Weymouth and three other volunteer departments responded to that blaze.

 

Organizations: Yarmouth Fire Department, Nova Scotia Power

Geographic location: North Ohio, Port Maitland

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments