RCMP have a man who didn't show for his trial on chilld abduction charges back in jail.
A Shelburne man who didn’t show for his Supreme Court trial on child abduction charges is back in a Nova Scotia jail.
Colin James Lawrence, 45, was a no-show on Monday at his Supreme Court trial on a charge of child abduction and a Canada-wide warrant had been issued for his arrest.
Two days later the fugitive was captured by police in Quebec City. On Thursday, an RCMP officer was dispatched to Quebec to retrieve Lawrence and he appeared in a Yarmouth court the following day before Justice Pierre Muise facing five more charges.
Lawrence was orginally facing two charges in connection with the abduction of his baby in September 2011.
The former grocery store baker is alleged to have taken his newborn child forcibly from its mother after an argument. He was arrested hours later and the baby safely recovered on Highway 104 near the New Brunswick border. He was charged with child abduction and mischief.
He was later released from jail on strict conditions and was scheduled to have his Supreme Court trial begin on Monday. Dozens of people who came for jury selection were sent home.
He is now facing additional charges of failing to appear for court and breach of a recognizance.
After the 2011 abduction RCMP said the police force had put “considerable” resources and effort into the search for the man and newborn baby. Police stopped his car near Oxford, about 20 kilometres from the New Brunswick border.
Cpl. Nancy Mason, of the Shelburne RCMP, said police again were putting major efforts into the case after his court no-show following up leads and then retrieving Lawrence from Quebec.
“It’s been a busy few days,” she said.