A familiar property to residents of Hantsport is still standing thanks to a home fire alarm.
The Hantsport Fire Department was called to an unoccupied, Jodrey-owned home at 3 Willow Street shortly after 3 a.m. Jan. 25.
Deputy Fire Chief Paul Maynard says a faulty electrical heater sparked a fire in the kitchen of the home, and an automatic alarm promptly notified the department.
“It’s a monitored alarm system and that probably saved the house,” Maynard said
“When we arrived on scene and made entry into the house we were met with a significant amount of smoke.”
He says the fire damaged a portion of the kitchen, and flooring in the home, but firefighters contained the flames within 15 minutes.
Departments from Windsor and Wolfville responded to calls for backup as the “bitter cold” weather caused some pieces of equipment to freeze up, Maynard said.
Firefighters remained on the scene for two hours to clear smoke from the house, and ensure there was no fire contained within the walls. No one was injured in the incident.
Maynard says it is important to properly maintain, and safely use, wood-burning equipment, oil furnaces and electric heaters.