Aleda Meloche, a resident of Fundy Villa, Berwick celebrated her 100th birthday June 4. Aleda enjoyed the company of family, close friends and a large number of well-wishers as she celebrated this great milestone surrounded by letters from the queen, prime minister, premier of Nova Scotia and local politicians. - Submitted
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to email@example.com ; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Soup Luncheon - Orchard Valley United Church homemade soup and dessert luncheon, noon to 1:15 p.m., at the Orchard Valley United Church, New Minas. $7.50
• Volunteer Night - annual general meeting and volunteer appreciation night, 7 p.m., at the Waterville and District Fire Volunteer Department
• Meeting - Valley Women’s Business Network meeting, 7-9 p.m., at King's Riverside Court (upstairs), 125 Webster St. Presenter: Rashana, Helping You Help Yourself. Free to VWBN members and their first-time guests. $5 at the door for returning guests.
• Annual General Meeting – and volunteer appreciation evening of the Valley Restorative Society Justice Society, 7 p.m.
• Karaoke – 7-10:30 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 098, Kingston. Free admission.
• Jam Session - North Alton Hall, 7-10 p.m. Door prize, 50/50 and lunch. Donation at door.
• Memory Walk - Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia Walk with a Purpose 11th Annual Alzheimer Memory Walk. Registration 9:30 a.m., Wolfville Nursing Home. Barbecue and auction follows the walk at Earnscliff and Main Street. Pledge sheets available at Cochrane’s Pharmasave, Wolfville or Wolfville Nursing Home. Info: 542-2429, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Concert - at the Berwick Royal Canadian Legion, doors open at 8 p.m., show at 8:30 p.m., must 19 and older. Kitchen Party, The Hupman Brothers, Caleb Miles, $10 at the door
• Fun for Kids - Billtown Kids Fun Zone, 7-9 p.m., at the Billtown United Baptist Church
• Mock Jail - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the front parking area of the Port Williams Community Centre. Lock up someone for $1 per minute. Call 542-3321 for pick-up any time after 8 a.m. Port Williams and District Lions Club fundraiser.
• Guest Night - Kentville & Area Women’s Connection, roast beef dinner 6:30 p.m. at Berwick Lions Hall, $18. Speaker and music: Barbara Raynes; feature: Michelle Parker. 678-5522 by June 8 for reservations
• Kentville Legion Breakfast - River Street, 7:30-10 a.m. Adults $6, children 12 and under $3
• Valley Trekkers Walk - explore the trails of Mickey Hill Pocket. Meet at the Park (Exit 22 off Hwy 101, south on Hwy 8) around 9:30 a.m. for walking at 10 a.m. Info: 532-2503 or 765-0906.
• Kentville Legion Dance – 9-12 p.m., $6 per person, must be 19 and over, bar and kitchen available. Music by Rte 12
• Kingston Legion Dance – 9 p.m., music by Big Deal, $7 each.
• Masonic Breakfast – 7:30-10:30 a.m., Masonic Hall, Berwick. Adults $6, children $3, wheelchair accessible.
• Village-Wide Yard Sale – Port Williams, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.; rain date June 15. Flea market: 8 a.m.-1 p.m.; car show noon (registration 11 a.m.); chicken barbecue 11 a.m.-2 p.m.; children’s parade 2 p.m. from the Feeds ‘n Needs parking lot; community supper 4:30-6 p.m. at community centre, freewill offering
• Men’s Fellowship – held by New Beginnings Christian Ministry, Greenwood, for men in the central Valley area. Group meets the second Saturday of every month. Breakfast at 9 a.m. at the Aurora Inn, Kingston.
• Luncheon – baked bean luncheon, 10 a.m.-noon, Forest Hill Baptist Church. $8 each. Proceeds for church purposes.
• Casserole and Dessert Supper – Black Rock Community Centre, 4:30-6 p.m., freewill offering with all funds raised going to Judy Barkhouse. Sponsored by the Jolly workers Sewing Circle.
• Father’s Day Roast Beef Supper - at the Forties Community Centre, New Ross. Doors open at 4 p.m., serving at 4:30 p.m. Adults $11, ages five to 12 years $5.50, under five $2.50
• Hymn Sing - 7 p.m., Wolfville Ridge Baptist Church, featuring Next Generation. Refreshments and fellowship to follow.
• Community Flea Market - 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Seaport Square Professional Centre. Info: any member of the Port Williams and District Lions Club or call 542-3432 or 542-3933.
• Early Registration – for Second Berwick Scouts next year, 5-8 p.m., at the Berwick Town Hall. Reduced early registration fee until end of June. Open to youths age five to 18.
• Meeting - KCAGoG will host a celebration of their work followed by the annual general meeting, 2-3:30 p.m., at Just Us café in Grand Pré. Refreshments. Info: email@example.com or 542-2363.
• Prime Rib Dinner - at the Berwick Lions’ Hall, 6 p.m. Ticket $20 (table $200). All proceeds benefit facility improvements at Hardwood Lake Girl Guide Camp, Lake Paul. Tickets: Sara Keddy, 538-9191 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Jen Hall, 678-8700 or email@example.com; or Wilsons Pharmasave
• Concert - New Hope Wesleyan Church concert, North Alton, featuring The Lumber River Quartet. 7 p.m., free admission. Eveningof the Gospel in song.
• Variety Show - 7 p.m. at St. Anthony's Church, Berwick. Freewill offering in support of youth attending Steubenville Atlantic.
• Breakfast - The Good Neighbour Club, 7-10:30 a.m., at the Centreville Community Hall. Freewill offering.
• Ticket Auction - 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Hall's Harbour Fundy View Community Centre, Hwy. 359. Tickets 20 for $1. Snacks and refreshments available. Draw starts at 2 p.m., must be there to win. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Valley Hope Classic - second annual Wheel/Walk/Run 5/10 km at Kentville Memorial Park (tennis court area). Race kit pickup 9:30 a.m., race at 10:30 a.m. Register online at The Running Room under events before June 1 $18, after June 1 $20. Family rates available. Lots of Prizes. Proceeds go to Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association of Nova Scotia (SBHANS).
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Music by Rte 12, $6 per person
• Breakfast - Wolfville and District Lions Hall, 7-10 a.m. Adults $6, under 10 $3. Proceeds for community projects.
• Ticket Auction - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Draws begin at 2 p.m. at the Eagle Crest Golf Course, Centreville. Tickets 20 for $1. Proceeds to Grant Campbell to take part in Youth Leaders in Action program going to Vietnam
• Yard Sale - St. Anthony's, Berwick. Doors open at 8 a.m. Jewelry table and canteen available. From 1 to 2 p.m. fill a bag for $5.
• Coldbrook Lions Breakfast – 8-10:30 a.m. Adults $5, children three to 12 $3, under three years free
• Chinese Auction - Western Shore and Area Improvement Building. Doors open 9 a.m., draws at 2 p.m. All new items. Proceeds for the Special Needs Programs of Norwood Lodge #135, New Ross.
• House and Garden Tour – 1-4 p.m. in Burlington. Includes five homes. Dessert and tea from 12:30-4:30 p.m. at the community hall included in price of ticket. $12 in advance, $15 at the hall. Tickets at Larry’s Pharmacy, Country Stoves and Sunrooms, email@example.com or 538-3441
• Music - Cambridge Baptist Church music event, 7 p.m., featuring Sonlight. Freewill offering, proceeds for church purposes. Fellowship and refreshments to follow.
• Musical Fundraiser – Kentville Lion’s Club, 1-4 p.m. 50/50 draws, live auction, cake draw, canteen facilities, plus Tops Kentville Chapter 5271 ticket draws on baskets. Freewill offering. Info: 679-4899
Mondaysthe King's Community Concert Band rehearses, 7 to 9 p.m., in the recreation centre of the New Minas Baptist Church.
Tuesdays Dukes of Kent Barbershop Chorus meet at 7 p.m. Bethany Memorial Baptist Church gym. Aldershot Road. Male singers welcome to try out.
MondaysRecreational Carpet Bowling, 1 p.m. Kentville New Horizons Club, 350 Main St. All over 50 welcome. No fee.
Monday evenings. Wii bowling, Forties Community Centre, New Ross. Interested in joining or trying it for the first time? Info: Marsha, 689-2612.
Wednesdays Centreville 50 plus association, 1:30 p.m. at the community hall. Bring a friend.
Wednesdays Minas Fifty Plus Seniors Club. New Minas fire hall, 1 p.m. Fun, games and light lunch. Monthly potluck first week at noon. New members welcome. Info: Art 365-5440
Wednesday afternoon social, 1-3 p.m., at the Louis Millet Complex Room 117. Admission $2, 50/50 draw, card and board games. Refreshments served.
Wednesdays Kingston Area Seniors Association meets the second Wednesday of each month. 10 a.m. Kingston branch 98 Royal Canadian Legion. Fun day (cards and games) every second and fourth Friday, 1 p.m. Info: Barb Hildebrand, 765-2513.
Wednesdays The Canning and District New Horizons Seniors meet at the Canning Lions' hall, 1:30 to 4 p.m. Come for cards, games and social, light lunch, monthly potluck. New members welcome. Info: Rose, 582-7346; Gladys, 678-2030.
Wednesdays and Thursdays New Horizons Seniors Club, 350 Main St., Kentville. Club opens at noon for recreational activities such as cards, carpet bowling, Wii, crokinole, many others. Members and friends welcome.
Thursdays Open House 1 pm for the over 50s, Kentville New Horizons Club, 350 Main St. Games: Auction 45, Cribbage, Crockinole, Skip-Bo. Refreshments.
Fridays Kingston Area Seniors Association, guest welcome on the second and forth Friday of the month for fun days $2. Games, cards, friendly talks and light refreshments
Saturdays Kentville Seniors New Horizon Club, 350 Main St. Drop in at 1:30 p.m. and join the club, enjoy refreshments and prizes. $2 proceeds for general fund. First and third Saturday of every month.