© Kirk Starratt
The Friends of the Acadian Forest Society held its annual native plant sale at the Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens in Wolfville on May 3. Volunteers Al Smith, left, Anne Burton, Sue Bissix, botanical gardens horticulturalist Melanie Priesnitz and volunteer Jan Baldwin were among those on hand helping out. The society grows the plants from cuttings and seeds gathered from the botanical gardens. The event raises funds for the society, helps promote the gardens and educates people about native plants. – Kirk Starratt, www.kingscountynews.ca
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Chicken Barbecue - New Minas Volunteer Fire Department, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., $10 per plate. Tickets: 681-6661 or 678-9524.
• Community Info Session - Handle Therapy and the Autism Spectrum, 6:30-8:30 p.m.,
Kingston Elementary School, 630 Pine Ridge, Kingston. Info: Sandy 375-3031 or email email@example.com. Free, all welcome.
• Wardrobe Tea – for Apple Blossom Princess Kingston, 7 p.m., at the Kingston Fire Hall, $5. Desserts, refreshments, Amy Spurrell will model her wardrobe.
• T.G.I.F. Supper - scallops and fries, 5-7 p.m., at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 98 in Kingston. $7 eat in or $ 7.50 take out.
• Dance - Kentville Lions Club dance, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. $6 per person, $10 a couple, complementary munchies, Music by Vintage. Info: 679-4899. Proceeds to support Lions projects
• Games Day Fundraiser - 1:30 p.m. at the Appledome Berwick Lions Club. 45s, bridge, etc. Prizes and lunch. $3. Food donation appreciated.
• Crib - Kentville Legion Ladies Auxiliary Crib tournament. Registration 12:30 p.m., play at 1 p.m. $20 per team upstairs. Lunch provided.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m., $6 per person, 19 and over. Music by Still Doin Time.
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m.-12:30 a.m. $6 per person.
• Breakfast - Coldbrook Lions all you can eat breakfast, 8-10:30 a.m. Adults $5, children three to 12 $3, under three free.
• Fundraiser Barbecue - 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Greenwood Sobeys. Info: Sandy 375-3031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds stay in the Valley to provide programs for people with autism.
• Plant Sale - Lakeville Women’s Institute 25th annual plant sale, 9 a.m. to noon, at the Lakeville Community Centre. Proceeds for hall maintenance.
• Breakfast - The Good Neighbour Club, 7-10:30 a.m., at the Centreville Community Hall. Freewill offering.
• Spring Plant and Bake Sale - Berwick Baptist Church, 8 a.m. to noon. Annuals, perennials and bake table. Tea, coffee and muffins for a freewill offering. Proceeds for church work.
• Variety Music Night - Kingston Lions Club presents Variety Music Night, 7 p.m., at the Kingston Lions Hall. Tickets $5. Canteen and 50/50 ticket available. Phone 765-2128, email email@example.com
• Flea Market - Scott’s Bay Community Hall flea market at the hall, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Table rentals $5, call Jerry Huntley at 582-7489. Also a rummage sale will be held at the Seaside Centre. Canteen available.
• Ticket Auction - Waterville Baptist Church annual, viewing at 10 a.m., draws 2 p.m. at the Waterville Fire Hall, tickets 20 for $1 or 100 for $5. Door prize and tea, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., $4. Proceeds for church repair.
• Variety Show - 7:30 p.m. at the White Rock Hall, admission $5, canteen available. Proceeds for the Wallbrook United Baptist Church.
• Plant, Bake and Yard Sale – at the Kentville Curling Club, 8 a.m.
• Yard/Plant Sale - 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.. at the Black River Community Hall. Hotdogs and drinks available. Info: Clara at 542-3180. All proceeds to the hall
• Church Yard Sale - rain or shine, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., at New Hope Wesleyan Church, Hwy 12, North Alton. Info: Joy, 678-5553 or church, 678-2222
• Relay for Life Family Fun Day - Ticket auction, bouncy castle, face painting, barbecue. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the New Minas Fire Hall
• Breakfast - Wolfville and District Lions Breakfast, 7-10 a.m., 36 Elm Ave. Adults $6, children 10 and under $3
• Breakfast – 8-10 a.m. at the Burlington Community Hall, freewill offering, proceeds for the hall. Info: Susan, 538-3441.
• Breakfast – 8-11 a.m. at Aylesford United Church. Freewill offering for church expenses.
• Concert - Country Gospel singer/songwriter Trevor Baker from Saskatchewan, 7 p.m. at Bethany Memorial Baptist Church, Aldershot.
Free will offering. Fellowship and refreshments to follow.
• Gospel Music - with Matt Balsor, 7 p.m. at the New Ross United Baptist Church. Freewill offering.
• Hymn Sing - Wolfville Ridge Baptist Church, 7 p.m. Special guests Ron DeAdder and Rachael Alders. Freewill offering, fellowship and refreshment to follow.
• Cape Split Trail Trek - Valley Trekkers annual trek. Meet in the Cape Split parking lot, 9:30 a.m., for 16 km walk at 10 a.m. Wear good footwear, short break at "the Split" to eat our own packed lunches. Info: 765-4051 or 847-1772.
• Caregiver Appreciation Tea – 1-4 p.m. at the Centreville Community Hall. No admission fee. Info: Jennifer 521-5592 or 1-877-488-7390.
• Hymn Sing - Wolfville Ridge Baptist Church, 7 p.m. Special guests Ron DeAdder and Rachael Alders. Freewill offering, fellowship and refreshments to follow
• Meeting – of the Wolfville Historical Society, 2-4 p.m. at Wolfville Legion Hall. Dr. Roger Marsters, PhD, will talk about the Randall House Museum program for the summer and the new exhibit, 1914 War Comes to Wolfville.
• Turkey Supper - 4:30-6 p.m., St. Andrew’s Anglican Church hall, Hantsport. Adults $12, free for children under five.
• Golf Tournament - Landmark East Golf Tournament at Berwick Heights. Proceeds to student bursary fund. Register: Mandy at 542-2237.
• Church Anniversary - Wolfville Baptist Church 250th anniversary celebration. Chef Nelson Penner will prepare a gourmet dinner, 6:30 p.m. Silent auction viewing 6 p.m. Limited tickets available until May 18, $25, 542-5524.
• Show ‘n Shine - 5:30-7:30 p.m. Vintage and collectible autos, tractors, motorcycles at the Central Kings school lot. Free registration, admission. Part of Cambridge Elementary School’s community fun fair. Info: Sara, 538-9191 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Spring Auction – Gaspereau Elementary Home and School’s annual live auction, 7 p.m., at the Gaspereau Community Hall. New items, gift certificates, baked goods and more.
• Indoor yard sale - baked goods, plants, hot dogs and refreshments, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Aylesford United Church Hall.
• Stuffed Pork Dinner - 4:30-6 p.m. at Kingston Baptist Church. Adults $10, children $5, catered by Kingston’s Friends of the Village
• Spring Blossoms Dance - 9 p.m.-1 a.m. at the Hall's Harbour Fundy View Community Centre, 4120 Hwy 359, Hall's Harbour. Music by Country Heat. $10 per person at the door. Must be 19 years of age. Cash bar. Designated driver available. Info: email@example.com
• Yardsale - rain or shine, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., at St. James Anglican Church
• Parrish Breakfast – 8-10 a.m., $6, at St. James Anglican Church
• Spring Indoor Yard and Furniture Sale - at
Kingston Lions Hall, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Proceeds to Lions community initiatives. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
• 45s -Cornwallis New Horizens Club senior’s room, Canning. Registration 1 p.m., games 1:30 p.m., admission $2. Info: Gladys 678-2030 or Rose 582-7346
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m. $6 per person 19 and over. Music by Reboot
• Books and Baked Goods - Canning library book and baked goods sale, 9:30 a.m. to 1p.m. 9806 Main Street, Canning. Proceeds to library to keep it open.
• Redneck Dessert Tea - Weston WI hall, 3469 Brooklyn St., 2-4 p.m. Prizes for best hat, apron and tattoo, flea market table
• Plant Sale - St. Mary’s Church, Auburn, at the corner of Morden Road and Hwy #1, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Numerous perennials and small shrubs
• Music Night - 6:30 p.m. at Coldbrook Baptist Church featuring The Gospel Lights. Fellowship to follow. Freewill offering
• Port Williams Musical Showcase - 7 p.m. at the Port Williams United Baptist Church, featuring the recent participants of the Annapolis Valley Music Festival. To participate, contact Lana Churchill email@example.com by May 22. Freewill at the door for the music festival and the church.
• Concert - Sonlight Ministries Gospel Concert, 7 p.m., at the Waterville Baptist Church, Mill Street. Freewill offering for special church purposes. Refreshments and fellowship following.
• Musical Benefit Show and Auction - 1:30 p.m. at the Kentville Legion. Freewill offering, 50/50, auction, bake table and canteen. Donations appreciated. Proceeds to Connie Munroe and daughter towards medical expenses. Info: David at 678-4803
• KCA Annual Spring Fling - 4:30-7 p.m. at KCA. Little Ray’s Reptiles, candy bags, cupcake walk, face painting and games, books, hot dogs, hamburgers, pop and treats. Tickets 25 cents for each activity. Proceeds to classrooms. Rain date May 29
• Autism Speaker - Autism Education expert, Leslie Broun, to speak on "New Brain Research and Autism" 6:30 p.m. at the West Kings Memorial Health Centre, Orchard St., Berwick. Free. Info: Sandy 375-3031, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dance – at Royal Canadian Legion Br. 098 Kingston, 9 p.m. until closing, $ 7 per person. Music by Rte 12.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m. $6 per person 19 and over, bar and kitchen available. Music by Appaloosa
• Turkey Dinner and Auction - Berwick Curling Club is having a ‘bring the club to the Appledome fundraiser’, 6:30 p.m., at the Lions Hall, Kings Mutual Century Centre, Berwick. Tickets $25 each. Info: Brad at 538-3612.
• Apple Blossom Café - 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at St. James Anglican Church, corner of Main and Prospect Kentville. Sandwiches, salads, beverages.